Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco Trailer Plug not found

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 03:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Disco Trailer Plug not found

Hello. I have an '03 Disco II S, that's kind of a basic model with no sunroofs and missing some options, seats are faux leather (vinyl) and door inserts are cloth instead of suede. It must be missing a bunch of other options, too. So the other day I removed the right tail light, looked inside the body, and there seems to be no plug for the trailer wiring at all! It is at all possible, or did they ALL came pre-wired for trailers? And if indeed I do not have it.... How hard is it going to be now to connect trailer wiring, as I must use the truck to tow a trailer ( Please let me know. Thanks.
P.S. That's an "american" 4.6 V8, originally purchased in New York. Automatic transmission, transfer case has no lock.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:00 AM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

I think I remember some people saying that they found it behind the left side light instead of the right. Perhaps try there.

The following users liked this post:
Massrover (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 08:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

If I can’t finish piecing a full setup together, this is what I’m planning on getting.

https://www.bputah.com/Disco%202%20A...YWJ500120.html

All I am missing is the mounting bracket and the module.

I only mention that because if you want an OEM type solution, and even get to see the blinking light on the cluster when you are hooked to a trailer, this is the way to go.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:38 PM
TReK

That set plugs into the harness on the truck, which the OP claims not to have.
Any connection to the trailer will illuminate the light on the dash if regular bulbs are used.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by longtallsally
If I can’t finish piecing a full setup together, this is what I’m planning on getting.

https://www.bputah.com/Disco%202%20A...YWJ500120.html

All I am missing is the mounting bracket and the module.

I only mention that because if you want an OEM type solution, and even get to see the blinking light on the cluster when you are hooked to a trailer, this is the way to go.
Chunk of change... I went to a junkyard, since I don't even have a trailer hitch. So there are 3 Disco's there that have hitches and wiring. I will probably end up pulling the wiring and the hitches from one of those. But, I can find the actual plug where the wiring plugs into, then my problem is not solved at all... And yes, when I turn the ignition on, there is a green "trailer" light on the dash board.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:12 AM
TReK

It's simple enough to mount any aftermarket trailer plug using wire taps. The "official" parts just make it simpler and mean that you don't run the risk of your wires corroding or breaking.
So all is not lost if you can't find the plug behind one of the light fittings. But probably the most important thing to do is decide if you want the round style socket or the flat 4-pin one -- which will depend on what type of trailer you're planning to tow.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,674 Posts

If the OEM grey plug isn't directly under the passenger main tail lamp it "could" be inside the body vs mounted outside. I've seen a few like that. The #1 thing you want from any D2 is the OEM trailer light controller box. I personally chop the funky OEM round plug off and install the standard/basic 4wire flat plug harness (all the trailers I pull use that plug).

Old 07-17-2022, 04:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Best4x4
If the OEM grey plug isn't directly under the passenger main tail lamp it "could" be inside the body vs mounted outside. I've seen a few like that. The #1 thing you want from any D2 is the OEM trailer light controller box. I personally chop the funky OEM round plug off and install the standard/basic 4wire flat plug harness (all the trailers I pull use that plug).
Hey if you can find one of those controller boxes, I’d gladly buy it from you! And if you’re at the yard, and they have the bracket for the OEM round thing, I’d love that too. Discos are extremely rare out here at yards and they get picked clean almost immediately if one shows up.

I’ve got the “conversion” harness to get to the flat 4, and the main harness, but just need those last 2 bits.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
So where do I look? I'm not great with wiring, and I can't figure this out. I also have no idea where is the trailer light controller box or what does it look like! All I know there is a green "trailer" symbol on the dash when I turn the ignition on. It goes off obviously.... Tomorrow I'll look at the trailer that I am about to buy and see what connection it has. Oh I also have the Three Amigos, but that's another topic entirely. Thank you all

Old 07-18-2022, 07:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by m1943
So where do I look? I'm not great with wiring, and I can't figure this out. I also have no idea where is the trailer light controller box or what does it look like! All I know there is a green "trailer" symbol on the dash when I turn the ignition on. It goes off obviously.... Tomorrow I'll look at the trailer that I am about to buy and see what connection it has. Oh I also have the Three Amigos, but that's another topic entirely. Thank you all
Look at that link I posted. It has all the components of an OEM setup. The controller box Best describes is the 3rd pic.

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco Trailer Plug not found