Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco Trailer Plug not found

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Plug ain't there

Well, everyone, FYI - my Landy is probably one of the very, very lucky few ones that DOES NOT have a trailer wiring harness plug. I just spoke to a LR dealer services department, they ran the VIN and were able to confirm it. So, my rig's so basic, it lack even this basic option. So the OEM LR wiring harness that I got is pretty useless to me, after all. I'll end up installing something generic in this case.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by m1943
I just spoke to a LR dealer services department, they ran the VIN and were able to confirm it.
Everything else in this thread does not surprise me. This one sentence I can't seem to come to terms with.

As mollusc says, you can go to any uhaul shop and they will sell you something to fit your needs. This contraption is $20 and will "scotch-lok" to any car's wiring harness so long as you can identify the brake and turn signal wires out back.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...Flat/?id=13684

I picked up a couple Land-Rover factory bits over the years and sacrificed one by cutting off the factory trailer plug and splicing in a flat four pin connector, keeping the controller box. When I tow my g/f's 14' Whaler and use magnetic lights (no lights on the trailer itself), the dash lights blink with the turn signal. I rented an actual uhaul auto transport trailer last week and while the lights on their trailer worked just fine, otherwise they don't let you rent, but the dash lights never blinked once in 500 miles.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longtallsally
Look at that link I posted. It has all the components of an OEM setup. The controller box Best describes is the 3rd pic.
I looked carefully at that link - there is a box that has the standard LR tow jack on one end and a tiny little connector on the other. Yes, I guess that's what I needed, probably, though I still don't understand where that would plug into. Since I have the OEM harness, all I would need would be that little box with the two connectors, presumably, but... It's too late, since I got an 5 wire to 4 pin converter box kit from Autozone for $29.99 plus tax. That's not going to be OEM and I can probably just sell the original LR wiring harness if anyone needs it... We'll see if it works. It' in the shop now, I'm not good with electrical work myself.