Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Discovery..newb seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

For under 1k buy it and part it out...

Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

For $1000, the only thing holding me back would be the cost of adding a locking transfer case.

I bought my '00 four years(?) ago for $2500. Crank no start, with a knocking when cranking. Body and interior were perfect, and it had 80k miles. After having it towed home, and cranking it a few more times, it seized. I bought a used engine with 80k miles and a year warranty, for $2,000 and replaced it myself.

I finally tore the old engine apart for scrap aluminum, and here is what I found after removing the upper end:

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Discovery..newb seeking advice-engine2.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
check the vin against the 03' engine/oil pump failure list from LRNA.

if it's outside the VIN range I would offer him $600. You can get $550 from a recycler for the entire truck. you can get a used starter and swap it out for under $100 from one of the trusted parts guys.

Did you check the fuses? I had a D2 that had a very similar problem and one of the fuses was burnt out, once the fuse was replaced it ran great.
Could you elaborate on the LNRA and how I go about checking the vin? I have y
The vin and ran the carfax. This rig was fully maintained by land rover until mid 2010 and 130k. Then it changed hands and moved to Az. It was serviced by various Indy shops since then. It did fail emissions and passed after new plugs and a replacement MIL (that would be just a indicator correct?)

I've negotiated an embarrassingly low price. I think I'll drag it home regardless.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could part it out and make money on the deal. I did that with a couple jeeps once; pulled parts and sold on e-bay and craigslist and used that money to finance the rebuild. I don't think you can lose in this situation.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Mudding

Looks like the vin falls outside of the oil pump failure list

Also got a few wrecked units around town ready for pillaging. Used parts prices are quite reasonable, hope they are no all junk! I guess within a week I will either have it running or be crying about my bad luck and questionable judgment.

In the back of my mind I know I should just spend the money now on a nice runner, but for some reason i can't resist the challenge. This rig looks so clean, it is a damn shame it ended up where it is now. Must Attempt rescue.

I might not do it if such great online resources as this forum did not exist.

Thanks

Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Do what Savannah said.
Try a socket and breaker bar on the crank.
If it moves ok
then the problem is a bad ground to the starter.
This is fairly common.
Check also the ground from the driver's cylinder head to the firewall is there.

And, when you turn the key - does the emergency brake cable get hot?
This is all a bad ground.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Mudding

We settled on a price pending it pass a few checks:

motor not frozen

oil pan not full of crud/coolant

Trans fluid condition acceptable

I'm going to look at it in daylight today and make my best determination whether or not it has catastrophic issues.

It is missing the keyfob, that will not be cheap, and I assume it is very inconvenient not having it. Is it a necessity for it to run? It doesn't appear to be, as the truck boots up and tries to crank when the key is turned.

The current owner does have all original documents and security codes.

I fully expect to have to drop a fair amount of time and cash into it right away.

Last night I downloaded all of the PDF docs I could find links to (thanks again this site!), and while I did not read it all cover to cover, I did not see any schematics right off. Are they in the RAVE? Or maybe they are in the Bosch controls manuals?

If all goes well It will be in my possession tonight..

Thanks again to all. I will keep posted what happens, and maybe have a lot of nice parts to offer up to you guys if it doesn't pan out! Or, like someone mentioned, a donor parts vehicle..This thing has a pristine interior and body, TV's in the headrests, killer sound system, etc..

Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes the schematics are in the RAVE. Keyfob is around $150 from dealer.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Mudding
Default It's blowed clear up!

Well, it was a pig in a poke! Got it home and did some trouble shooting. Motor has been overheated very Badly.

I'm going to inspect and train myself on this rig using the RAVE for the next couple weeks and decide whether or not to drop in a motor or not. It is remarkably clean, and as long as the drivetrain is sound will make a great rig.

Thanks again for the support and encouragement. Also, let me know what parts you all might want or need. If I decide to part it I'll give this forum first dibs. It is an HSE by the way.

Regards

Mike

Last edited by 5bravobravo; 10-19-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are willing, a better bet than a used motor is setting up the one you have right. Pull the heads, get them machined along with a valve job, clean things up, use a superior head gasket...you'll have a better motor in there than you could get used.

Quick Reply: 2003 Discovery..newb seeking advice