Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 discovery se no heat in cab and over heating

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 discovery se no heat in cab and over heating

OK I have been searching this forum and found alot of others here with same problem. But no final answer or ending saying this was the repair.

Problem is engine overheats and no heat in cab when this happens, top of radiator where inlet hose is hot, bottom at exit it is cold. I have replaced the thermostat and have done the head gaskets. ( the head gaskets where done this summer). I am assuming the radiator may be clogged, but I would like to be able to diagnose this before dropping any more money at the wrong parts.

Here is what happens purge air out of system run get good heat in cab! Let sit in drive way at idle no problems. Take for a test drive around the block and then heat goes cold and she starts to overheat, fans operate normally. When I get back home I check and lower radiator hose is cold and radiator on that side is cold.

If you have had the same problem what was the final repair? What am I doing wrong?

I am at 100k on the land rover.

Thank you in advance!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like your radiator is plugged up you can use a ir thermometer to take the temp on radiator but you can feel the difference with your hand and that should not be that cold.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
It sounds like your radiator is plugged up you can use a ir thermometer to take the temp on radiator but you can feel the difference with your hand and that should not be that cold.
X2 on what silver said. I would also check the water pump.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Stop driving it or you will torch your engine. Have it towed to a good Rover shop and have them pressure test the coolant system for leaks, possibly a head gasket and get it repaired.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys I am under the same assumption that the radiator is clogged. Disco Mike the head gaskets were done in the summer. I have no external leaks at this time. Currently not driving just when trying to diagnose.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Cold heater and hot engine means you have a leak, get it pressure tested after you bleed it and tell us what you find, 18 pounds for 15 minutes or more.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Is your check engine light on?
If so, tell us.

Can you get the codes out?
If so - post them.

When the truck sits 1/2 hour after a trip and you open the coolant tank slowly
is there coolant coming UP and filling the tank?

At 100K miles - this is classic head gaskets have worn out and need replaced.

No fault of yours. Even if it was kept perfectly and not overheated.
The head gaskets just fail.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...f0UdNA&cad=rja

Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Um, he knows that the head gaskets fail from firsthand experience. In his initial post he stated that he replaced them last summer.

Check on the radiator function. I'm not entirely sure how the heater core would get cold with the engine overheating unless the level is low because coolant should always be flowing through it.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Yes you most likely have a leak. Is your coolant level dropping in the reservoir ??? If so u have leak. Or if your water pump is not working you will not get flow in your heater core or engine. Radiator is easy to check pull your hoses and see if water runs through it. That simple
If your constantly bleeding the system of air you have a leak. If you can't see coolant dripping on the floor it's prob going into your engine

Quick Reply: 2003 discovery se no heat in cab and over heating