Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This 2003 HSE is driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
STOP THROWING MONEY AT YOUR PROBLEMS AND READ UP SOME MORE ON THIS SITE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE! YOU'RE KILLING ME SHELLING OUT ALL THIS CASH!

Have them use 8mm wires if you're getting them done again (nevermind...the dealer won't do that)

Have they tested your battery/alternator yet? I'll bet you a shiny new nickel that's the reason you're getting the M+S lights.
Listen to the above! I've had the flasing M&S lights twice, trans is in limp mode and seems "sluggish" because it is locked in 3rd or 4th gear only (I believe 3rd).
The first time I had the problem, it ended up being my connection to the alternator, the 2 wires on the back. It was jerry-rigged and after making a good connection no more limp mode, $3.
The 2nd time it was the battery. I got it tested at Advance Auto for free, in which it of course passed their test as meeting standards. But our Rovers are a bit more needy and my battery was undersized for the truck and just beyond the 2year warranty from the previous owner. New properly sized battery and problem solved, $100.
Good luck.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STOP THROWING MONEY AT YOUR PROBLEMS AND READ UP SOME MORE ON THIS SITE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE! YOU'RE KILLING ME SHELLING OUT ALL THIS CASH!

Have them use 8mm wires if you're getting them done again (nevermind...the dealer won't do that)

Have they tested your battery/alternator yet? I'll bet you a shiny new nickel that's the reason you're getting the M+S lights.
Yes they tested it today, as well as the battery... I owe you a Shiny new Nickel! Battery was ok.. I don't even want say what plug wires were installed by them.. ugh!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:47 PM
4wd Low

Sage advice Brandon and Ylo.. After today, I simply cannot afford to bring it there any longer.. Nearly $600 for plug wires installed.. Anyhow, I picked it up today, running awesome I must say, then a mile and half from the dealership, getting on the highway.. A lurch, and M and S lights again.. Without the misfires that the new wires seemed to fix, not nearly as sluggish, but not shifting either.. I went to autozone and ordered a new Alternator, the dealership seems to think that's what is causing the transmission fault... THEN.. The service manager tells me that the mechanic that worked on it, couldn't get it to fault like it has been, and did a few miles from their place. The mechanic claims there is a rumble coming from underneath, and believes it to be a cracked flywheel.. I dunno, one problem after another.. I personally think it's the studded tires.. Will change out the alternator tomorrow myself, and see where we are then. Funny the service manager said I should have bought a 97 or 98 as they're more rugged..

Old 05-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So you're still just throwing money/parts at the problem.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boots63
....the dealership seems to think that's what is causing the transmission fault.....
OF COURSE IT IS, and that's EXACTLY what I told you YESTERDAY at 2:12pm.....obviously, that advice was ignored

Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 AM
4wd Low

OF COURSE IT IS, and that's EXACTLY what I told you YESTERDAY at 2:12pm.....obviously, that advice was ignored
And you were right.. It was already at the dealership by that time, and based on the advice I got here, I asked them to check the battery and the alternator.. So what's to do but "throw money at the problem" by buying another alternator, I haven't seen any articles about rebuilding alternators on here.. This is my first foray into the world of rovers, I AM listening to the advice on here.