Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Land Rover Discovery Dies after a while It would start again

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Same procedure. A D2 CPS change is the same regardless of years or engine size.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the video I used as a reference. The hardest part for me was disconnecting the wire harness it's just a really tight fit but it's doable. Good luck

Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
6th Gear
Question 2003 Land Rover Discovery Dies after a while It would start again

Well my friends, here is what happend, I drove the Land rover to Advance Auto Parts, And as the vehicle reproduce the problem by not starting, The gentlement put the computer on the truck and it read no codes at all, it only told us that the oxigent sensor is not working,he told me that, this could not be my problem, The other gentlement behind the counter said that if infact was a sensor that the computer would have to read the codes, so he suggested to replace the gas pump, so here I am again, but now more puzzled than before, what should I do gentlement? please advise, Thank you for your time

Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CPS will not always tell you if there is an issue. I bought my 99' for $1800 when they said it would run and then die. I bought it out of state sight unseen and had the COS shipped to me at a families house near by. 20 minutes after buying the Rover and changing the COS I drove off and then 15 hours home.

It could be an 02 sensor that is causing it run lean or rough but it is probably not the culprit. Do not replace your fuel pump unless you can verify that after that time it loses pressure. I say buy the CPS and I bet your truck will run fine.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM
4wd High

I agree that it sounds like a classic CPS going bad. Heat + oil kills these things pretty easy. They cool down then work again for awhile. It is great when you have diagnostics that point to a definite solution, if you do THIS, it will fix THIS. Unfortunatly, I believe you are looking at throwing a dart at this one. An educated dart, but a dart nonetheless. I worked at a Rover dealership for a good many years and saw this. I also just replace a CPS in a Jetta that I own. It was doing exactly what you described only my CPS was $110.00 at Autozone. You can start the car, wait for it to shut off, then pull the sensor plug and check the resistance while it is still warm. This is how I verified my purchase. Hope this helps! But remember, this is just my opinion, and you know the old saying about opinions!! Good Luck

Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM
6th Gear
Thumbs up 2003 Land Rover Discovery Dies after a while It would start again

ok guys I am going to replace the CPS this weekend and I will let you know how it goes, Thank you so much.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:10 PM
6th Gear
Smile 2003 Land Rover Discovery Dies after a while It would start again

Well Thank you guys for your advise, You were correct it was the CPS, I changed the unit and drove the car for over 30 miles with no problem, Thank you so much,

Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome!!! That's great news. I've got to say, the guys on this forum are the BEST!!! I've only owned my Rover for a short time but, most of the problems I've had have either been covered already or I've gotten almost instant response. A problem like that could end up costing you loads of money and aggravation if you have to try and figure it out yourself with no help from the guys on this forum and without a code coming up for the problem.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lowapr
Well Thank you guys for your advise, You were correct it was the CPS, I changed the unit and drove the car for over 30 miles with no problem, Thank you so much,
Just a FYI-dont ever listen to the "advice" you get from the guy at AutoZone, Advance Auto etc.
Just let them read your codes and then get back to us.
98% of LR O2 codes are due to other things.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto what Spike said. Those guys feel because they work at an auto parts store that they know everything about every vehicle.

I am glad that it is running for you now and you have some piece of mind. I have found this forum to have a great group of people that are more than willing to help everyone out. Someone somewhere has experienced your problem and is more than happy to share their experience with you.

Quick Reply: 2003 Land Rover Discovery Dies after a while It would start again