Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 LR Discovery P0130 error code

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjerel
I didn't know if anyone else had any suggestions before I purchase the 4 O2 sensors. That new code of P0171 is perplexing me. Thanks, Jere
Do not try to clean your MAF. You are due for O2's so get them, one has already failed. A bad O2 will throw all kinds of codes. If, after replacing, you start getting lean codes combined with a 4th gear incorrect ratio, then you need a MAF.

Consider some 8MM Magnacor wires while you are in there. 7MM won't hold up to the heat.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 new O2 sensors are on order as well as the throttle body heater kit. I will update this thread once I have received/replaced everything and cleared out the codes. I'm also going to do the induction cleaning prior to changing out the sensors since the vehicle has so many miles on it and the super unleaded is only 91 octane here in CA. Jere

Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

clean the throttle body as well

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Induction and throttle body cleaning has been completed. I thought that the police might pull me over with all the smoke that poured out of the tailpipe...I could barely see through it all when I was stopped at a stoplight!!! You guys were right about the smoking part! Anyway, it idles a little smoother now. Can't wait for the rest of the parts to arrive.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Just wanted to follow up and post my results. While waiting for the parts to came in, I went ahead and changed out the fluids in both differentials, transmission, and transfer case. Front diff was like new, but the rear was dark and definitely had some metal shavings. Everything else looked used but not too bad. Of course now when I let off the gas I hear a rattling sound for a couple of seconds then it stops. But that's for another day. Anyway, parts came in and after changing the drivers side front O2 sensor and cleaned out the connector (the socket didn't have enough clearance to fit on so vise-grips had to suffice...close but no cigar and the damn connector wouldn't come off until I broke the clip off) the code went away and the idle smoothed back out. I'll be changing the other 3 this weekend and the throttle body heater kit, then on to figuring out why the passenger door lock stopped working yesterday. One thing after another...reminds me of the Sportster I used to own! Thanks for the help guys, you are the best!!! Jere

Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
clean the throttle body as well
BAD information or suggestion to give a D2 owner, no sense killing the MAF for no reason and certainly no codes.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

he said throttle body, not MAF.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
BAD information or suggestion to give a D2 owner, no sense killing the MAF for no reason and certainly no codes.

I said clean the throttle body, he is gonna do the heater plate gasket. might as well clean everything up there.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Drifting

Okay, my last follow up for this issue. I've changed all 4 of the O2 sensors (passenger rear was a royal pain to get to the connector) changed the throttle body heater, did the induction cleaning, cleaned throttle body (plate started sticking due to gum but thorough cleaning fixed that) changed fluid in transfer case, transmission, and both diffs (Front was clean rear was full of sludge even though the dealerships had signed off on the fluid change). I have some kind of clanking sound that happens when I let off the gas that sounds like gears rattling around somewhere, but I'll post a different thread about that one after I search around the forums for possibilities. Thanks a ton for all the help and suggestions...it is running good again and not leaking at all! Jere