Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 SE7 DII First Drive in Snow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 SE7 DII First Drive in Snow!

Well, I had yet to drive my 'Green Monster' in the snow until this weekend.....We had about 15" fall here in Dayton Fri/Sat and the truck performed much better than I even thought that it would. The "TC" light was on alot (normal) but she never fish-tailed, slid or any of that. The braking was a little rough in terms of sliding to a stop (with the ABS working all the way), but 6000 lbs. takes some adjusting compared to the distance required to stop the Mitsu. Montero that was replaced by the Rover. It was very fun to drive and I felt very secure/safe behind the wheel. It also helped to justify the $2500 spent in the Fall to replace the ABS Mod. that controls all the traction & braking. I am happy with my truck and its snow performance- now to find some off-road areas around here this spring and tackle some mud and rocks!

-aaron
2003 SE7 DII 77,000 mi.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 2003 SE7 DII First Drive in Snow!

Wait till you put some decent tires on it, that will make a huge difference.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 PM
4wd High

Saw the 20" snowfall in Columbus Ohio on the news. Nice to hear a disco owner getting around in 'extreme weather conditions' without problems.
I have yet to drive my disco on dry pavement. So far its been nothing but snow ,slush and ice. The 'abs' comes on a lot for me the 'tc' light not so much. Am running newish Goodyear Wrangler hp's, the stock tire on my 04 se7 I believe. I find these tires lacking in winter conditions and am seriously considering winter tires for next fall. I figure I'll run these wranglers this spring/summer.

What tires do you have on your unit Bearcatfans?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Mudding

ooster,

I am running new Falken S/T Z04 OEM stock size with less than 2500 miles on them.. They have performed nicely on dry pavement and did pretty good in the snow. They are reasonably priced and look really nice on the rims. The Goodyear Wranglers that came with the truck were severly cupped and I didn't want to go with them again (others on this forum will tell you about their bad luck with them) and I have not had good luck with any Goodyear products on my other cars in the past. I have Toyo Open Country A/Ts on my Montero and they are awesome offroad and on but they are pretty loud on pavement...If you do a fair amount of offroad but mostly street, they would be a good tire for your '04 in my humble opinion.

-aaron
'03 SE7 DII 77,000 miles

Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 AM
4wd High

Thanks Aaron,

I checked out both your selections and I really like the Falken Ziex S/T04 great price and free shipping in Canada right now. Those Toyo open country A/T's are interresting as well, not too pricey either.
I'ts not that I will be doing much off road driving. Intentionaly. However the 'on road' conditions here in northern Manitoba vary considerably and gravel roads are common. Snow and ice eight months of the year in varied amounts.

I wont be going back to the Goodyear Wrangler's after I wear this set down. My plan is to get an as yet udecided type winter tire set this fall and then some kind of all season A/T like the Toyo or Falken for the warmer four months... I want to stay with the stock sizes/specs so as not to add to rovers thirst for fuel. So I'm saving money now.

This truck is too nice for me to smash up on a winter or gravel road. I bought it for those days that you just had Aaron...during and after the blizzrd/snow dump. We get lots of those days. When others (cars mostly) are stuck in their driveways cant get through the drifts on the highway or just slide helplessly into the ditch...I used to be one of those lost souls staring with lust as the 4x4 gods got where they were going with ease. It sucked.

ooster
04 DiscoII Se7