Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 D2 Headgasket Job - What else to replace.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 D2 Headgasket Job - What else to replace.

So here is the story. 2004 D2 with 75K miles. Leaking coolant but not overheating. Being a frmr submariner I figured I would put my D2 into drydock for a few weeks to do a bit of an overhaul.

I had most of the 60K service done at 60K so I'm wondering since it is torn apart what else should I do.

Here is what I am currently doing:

1. Head gasket & headbolts
2. New driveshaft
3. T-Stat 180F
4. Brakes
5. Clean engine compartment
6. Media blast / wire brush portions of frame (paint as needed)
7. Coolant flush - going from orange to green.
8. Media blast and paint headers for no other reason then to put bright red headers on my D2.

I'm 50/50 on replacing all my hoses (I probably should since I've got them all removed.

At 60Kish I put in 8mm Magnacor wires and new plugs - Should I change them? I may because it is such a pain to get to them.

Serpentine belt only has 8-10K miles on it.

I've got the engine torn down and the drivers side cylinder head is off. As a note the only things I had issues with were the Secondary air and bolt 1. I summoned a Zen calmness and used lots of penetrating oil. Eventually they all came loose. I'm about 5 days behind schedule but I didn't have to cut, heat, or grind anything off.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Test fuel pump pressure from that never easy to reach test port under back corner of intake. Clean out PCV system. Replace the $25 throttle body heater.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Go look at my Major service list posted on the top of this section and do whatever has not been done . Also replace the coolant cap and consider replacing all 3 of the idler pulleys cause they do wear out.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:04 AM
5th Gear

Savannah Buzz - Thanks for reminding me about the PCV. I got a new heater in the gasket kit so I'm all good on that one.

DiscoMike, Never would have thought about the pulleys. Pretty easy replacement since I had to take them all off already.

With the new driveshaft and changing coolant I think I'm done with the 60K check-up but I'll double check my list just incase.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Drifting

I am about to dig into my head gasket replacement project, it is my first time doing this type of work, but I have a few (non-Land Rover) resources near by, if I have any Disco specific questions as I go I will post them here.

I will also order the idler pulleys and coolant cap as well, thanks for the tip Disco Mike. I have a couple weeks to complete so I am going to take my time and make sure I get it right.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM
5th Gear

pennohawk,
Good luck, I'll post a picture of my socket set up to get off the headbolts. It took me a few combinations but I found one that really worked. 1/2 with a few extension and wobble extension for the extreme corners. I also used an impact socket for my own mental health.

As far as other hang-ups the only thing that got me was the secondary air. It took three days of soaking before I got them off. I was almost to the point of cutting in rewelding until I saw the price of them and figured it was worth my time.

Buy some Koil penetrating oil. It helped a lot.

I did soak the engine pretty well in PB blaster prior so my exhaust headers came off easily. The exhaust was a bit of a pain to take off. I needed about 100 ft extension to get to those bolts.

I have lots of tools but for the most part the only ones I used were:

12 point sockets - 3/8 drive
6 point 3/8 drive
6 point 1/4 drive
1/2 inch drive for headbolts and extensions
I used a number of combinations of 1/4 and 3/8 extensions.

Borrowed a fan clutch tool from autozone.

I have air tools but only used the wrench to save some time on a few bolts. It wasn't necessary but helped.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
2nd Gear

carefull on the valley pan seal just under the fuel line...missed that on my first rebuild and leaked down the side of the bell housing for a month before I had the patience to take it all the way down to do it again...yesterday I lost a head gasket....#2 cylinder..when I 90'ed the 4 bolts around that cylinder..should have stopped right ther, and gone to a stud for those...now im breaking it down AGAIN....AH ZEN MASTER....lolol

99 Disco II ACE, spring kit 2" lift 138,000
66 F-100
78 Chevy 1 Ton last resort