Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
For the life of me I just cannot grasp why people insist on spending 6-8 k on rebuilding motors or getting a Turner. I don't care if you have a fur-lined glove box on that truck, it's value on resale just does not justify it. Find a good used motor and slap it in. Bingo you are done for 500 bucks plus a days work.

What am I missing here?
my cost on this is estimated to be about 2k. If you just go get a used engine, you will be dealing with the same ticking time bomb on the sleeves. So in short, I got to fix the sleeves or I will be back here again soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by cvhyatt:
piperff (04-12-2019), Vegasdisco2 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by No Doubt
If the bare block hasn't been pressure tested, then pressure test it. If it passes, then:
Chem dip it to clean internal oil and coolant passages
Deck the block (especially verify internal flatness)
Install new cam bearings
Install new cam (this is your one shot for internal power gains)
Pin OEM cylinder liners (free) or install new top hat liners ($)
Hone each cylinder...
Good stuff thank you for the detail. I have seen the procedures for pinning. I am inclined to think top-hatting is a more generally accepted best practice based on my reading. Any additional thoughts on pinning versus top-hats?

Old 02-18-2019, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt

Good stuff thank you for the detail. I have seen the procedures for pinning. I am inclined to think top-hatting is a more generally accepted best practice based on my reading. Any additional thoughts on pinning versus top-hats?
Top hats have a better design to reduce the chances of the block erosion that you see in the pics at the beginning of this thread. It's just what you want to pay for. Pinned sleeves will prevent sleeve slippage and that's cheap to do.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (04-15-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Is that block new or remanufactured

Bare Block. Block is Heated to 180 Degrees then Pressure Tested to Check the Cylinder Sleeves for Leakage. The Cylinders are Honed and the Block is Decked.
That saves a lot of steps and makes that bare block price really good.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

For the life of me I just cannot grasp why people insist on spending 6-8 k on rebuilding motors or getting a Turner. I don't care if you have a fur-lined glove box on that truck, it's value on resale just does not justify it. Find a good used motor and slap it in. Bingo you are done for 500 bucks plus a days work.

What am I missing here?
It doesn't cost $6k to build yourself a motor from a bare block. The $6k to $8k prices are for paying someone else to do it for you, and to be fair, those shops are stuck with inventory so they can't bring their prices down much and remain in biz.

If you pull your bad motor (1) and go to a junk yard for a random used motor, then you've got to pull that used motor (2) to get it for $500 instead of buying a used motor from LQK or eBay online for $1,400... and then you've got to install that used motor (3).

or...

If you pull your old motor (1) and build up a mail order bare block motor, then you can just install it (2).

So 2 motor pulls/pushes instead of 3.

Buying a bare block motor that's been decked and pressure tested should be < $700 for the Disco 2's 4.6L V8. Building that motor up yourself will add $3k to that. Maybe less. Sometimes you can skimp on the cam and front oil pump/timing chain cover. Sometimes you can skimp on lifters and pushrods. So, some engine builds done by yourself might be $2k in costs (you just can't write that price in stone... varies wildly per motor).

Paying someone to build it for you (lots of labor) will come in between $6k and $8k including new performance cam and porting your exhaust (and freight shipping).

Anyway, you can have a new motor with your own labor for $3k to $5k and only do 2 pulls/pushes. Or with someone else's labor for closer to $8k.

Or you can do 3 motor pulls/pushes and have a random used motor in your Disco for $500 to $1,500 based on how much labor you provide yourself. If it runs great for 10,000 miles then you probably did alright. If it blows in 500 miles then your gamble didn't pay off.

The_OGCJR (05-08-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

14,000 milesmon the last one I did. Still runs like a striped *** ape. Silly me.

RoverSE7 (01-16-2020)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

14,000 milesmon the last one I did. Still runs like a striped *** ape. Silly me.
It's a great way to go when it works!

Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

What am I missing here?
This. Do this. If you want to keep it a 4.6, swap the crank, rods, and pistons. Slap new rings and bearings in it. If you are ok with 4.0, just find an early D2 low mile engine and use that.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts
Old 04-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Smile Engine is Out!

Finally got the engine pulled. The 1 ton harbor freight cherry picker will do the the job if you remove the excess chain and let the air out of the tires :-) . In any case, we are disassembling the engine and will clean up the pistons, crankshaft and heads to get them ready to send off to a local machine shop. Below is the list of replacement parts I am getting as well as machining services and their costs. It's around $2000.

I am thinking of ordering parts from Turner Engineering - they seem a lot cheaper than some of the others but I am also getting pricing from Lucky 8 and Atlantic British. Bare block will come from roverlandparts.com. Let me know your thoughts or comments on approach and other considerations!

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild