Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco: #6 Misfire Reoccurring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 Disco: #6 Misfire Reoccurring Issue

Hello again, friends!

My 2004 Disco keeps throwing one error code: That the number 6 cylinder is misfiring.

It began this summer, and I could feel it missing for the first 3-5 seconds after starting the vehicle after it sat all night. If I had a lot of running to do, and had to start and shut off the vehicle a lot during the day, it would eventually go off. It only misses when it's cold, for 3-5 seconds.

A couple weeks after it first lit, I had new Bosch Platinum +4s and 8mm Magnecor wire's installed.

This didn't change anything.

What do you brothers think it could be? I've done fuel treatments, but it feels like this is going to be an electrical issue.

Thanks guys!

Pat

Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a bad/clogged fuel injector. Maybe a bad individual coil at the coil pack, bad coils usually affect more than one cylinder though. I doubt coolant is leaking in that cylinder. Last long shot could be a faulty ECM.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change out the plug in number 6, I installed Platinum +4s in my disco, and it started misfiring like hell. I took it to the dealer I bought it from after about 10 hours of testing and swapping cables (didn't think the plugs could have been the cuprit), and the mechanic told me that he couldn't figure out the problem and didn't think it was the plugs until he finally pulled them, replaced them with NGK BPR5ES plugs and viola, no more misfiring.

Last edited by brianb883; 10-01-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check again to see if the plug wire was secure on the coil? If you didn't wined them back there in the right order they can pop each other off.

Maybe it is the plugs - their has been posts on other LR forums about people getting bad +4's. I am on my second set. I just put all 4 new o2's on this week so I put a new set of plugs in and my 8mm mags are only a month old so I can't say for sure yet if the plugs are good and most guys on here swear by them so I am assuming its not the plugs.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Magnacore 8mm wires on, and actually re-did them 2 times in an attempt to rule out the wire connections as the culprit. It didn't occur to me to change the plugs because they were new. The mechanic said he changed the wires twice and was about to start blaming a bad coil pack until he swapped the plugs. He also told me NEVER to use Bosch plugs on a vehicle etc. It's working fine now with the NGK plugs, I'm putting the magnacores back on this weekend and am going to stick with that setup for the time, as I don't have another entire weekend to devote to more engine work.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys- THANK YOU for your posts!

I know there are opinions against the +4s, but note from my first post that this issue began before I had the new wires and plugs installed.

I'm thinking about just dropping it off at the Mechanic's, and having him spend a day getting to the bottom of it.

I'm betting it's an injector. I don't know much about Coil-Packs, but I know that my old car had one per two cylinders.

The light has been off, and it's been starting very nicely for three straight days now- which hasn't happened since the issue began. I wish I could say that I ran some type of cleaner, but it's not the case.

I'm sure the light will be back on...

I am going to keep my faith in the Bosch +4s. The only measure I have for really anything in this world is accepted price, and given that, the Bosch's should be very high quality.

If anyone has any more advice, I'd love to give my mechanic a point in the right direction.

Pat

Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the sticky's and there is a diagram of the coil packs and how/where they hookup. I would take this with you as reference for the mechanic. This is under "how to change your wires without removing the IM".

Good luck and keep us posted. I am curious how much an injector costs and how long it takes to change them as i might tackle all of them this next spring.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

#6 is the most common misfire for our engines. At your mileage I would imagine you haven't tuned it yet and if so, it is time, plugs and 8 mm Magnacors.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Where have you been buying your gas Pat?
Do you almost always use the same gas station?
Where does Mandy buy her gas? Same place as you?