Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 DIsco SE Fuel Gauge Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 2004 DIsco SE Fuel Gauge Malfunction

Haven't picked her up yet from the seller and I'm still waiting to hear back from him regarding the details, but there seems to be some malfunction with the fuel gauge device on my soon to be 04 Discovery SE. Can't do much with so little information so what I need to know for the time being is: fuel gauge malfunctions a common issue with late Disco 2 models? If yes what is the quickest fix? Anyone else have issues with their fuel gauge? Inaccurate readings or completely broken? How did you fix it? Price and link to parts needed etc.

Stay tuned and I'll update with more information as soon as I hear back from seller.

Summery of this vehicle:
Discovery SE
Northern/centeral vehicle
Inspected and registered
Involved in a accident (hit a deer)
Damage appears to have been taken care.
Needed work: new windshield, a few small exterior trim pieces, front drivers side seat switch button, may burn oil and is currently getting around 12 mpg.

I'll be purchasing new parts over the next few weeks so trying to cover all my ground now. The first priority on my list: Land Rover Discovery CV Front Drive Shaft ('99-'04) | eBay the second is the fual gauge malfunction.
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Depending on what the reading is of the fuel gauge it could be a few things.
It could be to much ethanol in the fuel, ever since I replaced my fuel pump a few years ago I have this problem, my gauge will read 1/2 tank when I actually have 3/4 tank for example.
Could be a bad float on the fuel pump sending unit.
Could be a broken wire on the fuel pump.
Could be a bad gauge.
I have heard of the float not working on DII's, several have been posted on here over the years, not a common problem.

Land Rover Fuel System Parts | Fuel Pump Discovery II

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Burn oil? Heck, it won't stay in mine long enough to burn. But perhaps you might want to do a compression test? Doesn't have enough miles to need a ring job or valve seals if well taken care of, oil changes are realistic intervals... Blue smoke out the back, at idle, when accelerating, or at higher rpm?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Burn oil? Heck, it won't stay in mine long enough to burn. But perhaps you might want to do a compression test? Doesn't have enough miles to need a ring job or valve seals if well taken care of, oil changes are realistic intervals... Blue smoke out the back, at idle, when accelerating, or at higher rpm?

The seller claims he's treated both his vehicles (04 Disco and BMW) very well with routine servicing, and he's currently the third owner of the 04 Disco. But thanks to the first "corporate" owner*, the rig hit a dear and was probably totaled because now there's a salvage/rebuilt title for the Disco. My therory is that the accident could have caused a disruption in either the fuel or oil system. But cant be sure until I pick it up and inspect for myself.

*I acquired this information via the carfax report I purchased for the 04 Disco.

**Thanks for the input Spike. I may just purchase the entire fuel pump you showed me - just to be on the safe side. So at the moment it's looking like I'll be spending afew hours at the sellers house replacing both the front propshaft and probably the fuel pump, not to mention a quick oil change (switching to Rotella Diesel plus checking the air in the tires, adding fuel injector cleaner etc. Long trips require preventative maintenance

We shall see. Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just making sure you realize what a salvage title might mean. Depending on the state you are in, check with your insurance company to make sure they will cover it with no issues. I'm assuming you are picking this up dirt cheap so it could be worth it. Otherwise, you might want to reconsider.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:36 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Just making sure you realize what a salvage title might mean. Depending on the state you are in, check with your insurance company to make sure they will cover it with no issues. I'm assuming you are picking this up dirt cheap so it could be worth it. Otherwise, you might want to reconsider.
Yes I did some research after checking out the carfax. Supposedly it generally means that the corresponding vehicle was damaged and considered a "total loss" by the insurance company who therefor sell it, then the vehicle gets repaired by the buyer. Alternatively if the claimed vehicle was stolen it is also considered a total loss. So as a result I save around $2-4000 on the total asking price of the 04 Disco. Assuming that the average low mile 04 Disco sells for around $10,000-15,000 with a clean title. Its a risk that I've thought hard on, and am willing to take. Regarding the insurance, I applied for a quote through Progressive - typed in the VIN# and got a decent quote back with no mention of the salvage title. Either they want my return business or I have to contact them over the phone to verify. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
TReK
Default Update

Originally Posted by Spike555
Depending on what the reading is of the fuel gauge it could be a few things.
It could be to much ethanol in the fuel, ever since I replaced my fuel pump a few years ago I have this problem, my gauge will read 1/2 tank when I actually have 3/4 tank for example.
Could be a bad float on the fuel pump sending unit.
Could be a broken wire on the fuel pump.
Could be a bad gauge.
I have heard of the float not working on DII's, several have been posted on here over the years, not a common problem.

UPDATE: Finally heard back from the seller of the 04 Discovery. "The fuel guage shows full when i is about half full and is empty around half" - quoted by the seller. So what do you think now? Is this a isolated issue perhaps with a bad fuel gauge or should I replace the entire fuel pump?
Secondly I noticed that the corresponding Fuel pump for the 01-04 "does not have pressure sensor for evap" whereas the corresponding fuel pump for the 99-01 has pressure sensor. So what exactly is a pressure sensor and why doesn't the 01-04 models need it?

99-01 has pressure sensor
Land Rover Fuel System Parts | Fuel Pump Discovery 2

01-04 without pressure sensor

Does the sellers brief description of the problem give enough information to narrow down the list of potentially needed parts in order to fix the fuel gauge malfunction? My biggest concern is during my trip home with the rig - not knowing exactly what I have for fuel in the tank. I would like to avoid running the tank dry as I've heard this creates complications. On the flip side I have a premier AAA membership so in the event I run out of fuel AAA will provide free fuel and a free 1000 mile tow + low tow rates thereafter. The pump is a bit pricy and I just purchased the new aftermarket driveshaft + hardware.
Land Rover Discovery CV Front Drive Shaft ('99-'04) | eBay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Would it be better to just purchase the fuel consumption accessory which would monitor how many miles until my tank hits empty?

Thanks again

Old 10-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

You will need to replace the entire fuel pump assembly, you cannot just replace the fuel sender.
Reset the trip odometer, drive 200 miles and stop for gas at the next exit.
Reset trip odometer, drive 200 miles and stop for gas at the next exit.
Reset trip odometer....you get the idea.
If you drive right you should get no less than 350 miles to a tank of gas.
Bring with you or buy while there a couple bottles of injector cleaner and dump one in the gas tank at your first fill up.
Then dump in the other one the next fill up.
It might not be a bad idea to have the oil changed before you head for home too.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
You will need to replace the entire fuel pump assembly, you cannot just replace the fuel sender.
Reset the trip odometer, drive 200 miles and stop for gas at the next exit.
Reset trip odometer, drive 200 miles and stop for gas at the next exit.
Reset trip odometer....you get the idea.
If you drive right you should get no less than 350 miles to a tank of gas.
Bring with you or buy while there a couple bottles of injector cleaner and dump one in the gas tank at your first fill up.
Then dump in the other one the next fill up.
It might not be a bad idea to have the oil changed before you head for home too.

Right so I'll replace the entire fuel pump then. Its as simple as removing the old pump and installing the new pump correct? No need to disconnect battery or any other sensors? I can go ahead and try the 200 mile stop - refill and go method but remember that the 04 is only getting around 12 mpg at the moment. I may end up buying a little computer to assist me but not sure yet: Amazon.com: ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges: Automotive
When I arrive at the sellers house I plan on removing the old front prop shaft and installing the replacement I just purchased along with new hardware. I already planned on doing the oil change. Should I start the conversion to rotella diesel oil or would it be better to use standard synthetic oil until I get home?

I think it is plausible that replacing the fuel pump could restore the intended mpg (12 city 16 highway).

Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Team Owner

Screw the Scan Gauge, get one of these.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ro...a-gauge-44097/
No the fuel pump problem will not cause 12mpg.
Well with a 25gal gas tank, and 12mpg, you are still able to go 300 miles.
Yes it is that simple to replace the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 2004 DIsco SE Fuel Gauge Malfunction