Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Disco will not start

Hello all,

About a week ago I purchased a 2004 Discovery S. The truck was a repo and has been sitting for quite a while. It has 121k miles on it and is very nice everywhere but the not running part. I got it cheap and I figure if nothing else it'll make a nice donor truck for someone if I can't get it going.

Since I've had the truck I've searched all over the internet for reasons as to why it won't start. It cranks fine. Just no spark, and no fuel. The M & S lights are flashing, the downhill decent control light and the traction control light, are on in the gauge cluster. I would figure with these lights on it should still fire, maybe not go anywhere fast, but should still start up.

I've replaced the Crank position sensor. I've replaced the battery. Everything on the truck works just as it should; Remote for door lock and unlock, windows, sunroofs, lights, signals, flashers, ect. All fuses and relays appear to be good. Nothing blown or out of the ordinary.

I was onboard with the previous owner at first when he claimed it was a bad fuel pump and replaced it. The fuel pump won't run when you cycle the key from position I to position II. However, if you wire power straight from the battery to the plug next to the underhood fusebox the fuel pump will run. So I've ruled out a bad fuel pump.

I wasn't getting a spark. So I replaced the Crank Position Sensor. I made sure it was installed correctly with the spacers between the nuts and the sensor itself. Still no spark. I've pulled diagrams from the rave and checked all that I could think to check in relation to this. Unfortunately I've hit a dead end. I'm not sure if the ECU would be bad or if there's another component that I can test before resorting to that.

I have access to two other Discos that are both running fine (Unfortunately for comparative purposes they're both 2000 models, I'm not sure of all the differences but I'm aware there are several). I've compared voltages and I've found that fuses 1 and 2 in the underhood box have no power with the key in position II. Both of the other Discos have power here (12.4v) with the key in position II.

I don't know how long the truck sat before it was repossessed. All of the fluids in the truck look good. Everything on the truck appears to be in order, apart from the starting and running, I've just reached a dead end as to what I should test next. I would rather rule out all possibilities before having to take it to either the dealer or an independent shop. My closest independent shop is about 45 or so miles away and if I don't have to pay someone to troubleshoot, the better.

I plan on giving the independent shop a call or visit tomorrow after work to bounce some ideas off of him. I figure if the ECU and BCU have communication troubles either he or the dealership will be the only ones to fix that.

As I said previously, I'm at a loss as to where I should go with this. Any help or suggestion as to what I should look at next is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

-Greg

Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you want some help with it today, send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do and check.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Is alarm light on dash on or blinking?

You could be immobilized. The EKA procedure in our D1 tech area may be of use.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:54 PM
5th Gear

Thank you for the responses.

I got my hands on an ODBII tool and It's throwing codes P1842 and P1843. I can't seem to get them to clear. I've found what those codes mean but I see them related to the M&S lights flashing. I don't know that they would be related in the non-starting issue but I'm trying to keep up as much info as I can to paint a complete picture.

P1842 (15) * Fault description CAN level monitoring Effect Maintains current gear in low range, limp home mode in range. Shift pressure to maximum, harsh gear shifts/engagement.

P1843 (17) * Fault description CAN time-out monitoring Effect Maintains current gear in low range, limp home mode in high range. Shift pressure to maximum, harsh gear shifts/engagement.

Mike,

I will pm you my number, but I won't be near the truck again til probably tomorrow after work (Truck is in my parent's garage as I don't have space here to keep it). I wish I would have seen your reply earlier when I was near the truck. I won't be messing with it anymore this evening.

Savannah,

The alarm light functions as normal, as comparing it to other posts. It's off when the truck is unlocked and it'll rapidly blink when the truck is locked via the keyfob or the door handle. I'm getting no abnormal behavior that I recognize from the truck. As stated before the only thing I find differet between the 2000s trucks I have access to and my 2004 is both fuses 1 and 2 underhood are dead with key on.

Thank you again for the replies.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Different electrical schematic for those year D2, in the RAVE.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

no spark may be a bad coil.
There is a coil for the right side and one for the left also. You might want to check for spark on both sides to see if maybe one of the coils is out. They may both be out.
The M&S lights may be a loose main ground wire.
Good luck getting her running.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have you tried resetting the inertia switch on the fire wall?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 PM
5th Gear

Is there a way to test the coils, aside from them not sparking? Would there be something before the coils to be checked? I plan on going and messing with the truck some more this evening after work.

I have checked the inertia switch on the firewall. It seems to be fine. It was not triggered.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM
5th Gear

Update:

Was a late night a work last night so I didn't get to do anything with the truck like I had planned. I put in a call to a local independent shop in Birmingham, and one up in Indiana, they had their number up on a forum Sunday and called us back yesterday.

Both places believe what has happened is the truck has sat for too long without power, either a dead battery or no battery and the ECM and BCU have lost communication. A testbook is needed to get these two back to talking to each other. So I'm going to haul it over to the independent shop tomorrow (He's done work on previous Discos I've had) and get him to reset it and whatever else he thinks he needs to do. Once I get it running then I can focus on getting everything checked out to make sure the truck is road worthy. Hopefully I'll be able to take it out for a test drive by the weekend.

Thanks again for the replies. Hopefully this will get the truck going.

-Greg

Old 12-29-2016, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear
Default P1842 p1843

[QUOTE=Disco Mike;419703]If you want some help with it today, send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do and check

P1842 p1843 I saw your willingness to help another individual would you please help me my number is 915 373 9197

Thank You in advance!

Paul Lopezl

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco will not start