Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery Cooling Fan Running in Very Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

So guys,
What is a really good fan clutch to get?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jfall -

Thanks again for the all the suggestions. Off hand I don't think I hear the big ROAR now but then again I might be so used to it now. I will pay attention to it today.

Also, when the cooling fan is on, the heat coming out isn't any warmer than it usually is and as always, when stopped the heat drops a bit. But then as I mentioned, it's quite cold here right now.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM
TReK

OK,
I bet your radiator is plugged.
You may need a new fan clutch too.

The fact you have heat means your water pump is working and the impeller is turning.

You may want to replace your thermostat first.

1) Thermostat
then still a problem
2) Radiator ($250 cost for sources on this BB))

3) Fan clutch.

Then I bet you are good to go.

Easy for me to say - not my money.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A hd fan clutch can be obtained from orileys auto part

Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Mudding

jfall -

That "ROAR" when first starting, would that not be outside temperature dependant? If it is really cold out would the fan clutch not be somewhat affected by the cold?

Also, I had to take it out today and when I got back home the cooling fan was on. I shut it off, waited approx. 5-10 minutes, felt the upper hoses and they had a lot of pressure in them and were hot so I then slowly opened my rad-cap until I could take the cap off. I put the cap back on, felt the upper hoses and they now had zero pressure in them so I started the vehicle. After about 5 minutes of running the cooling fan kicked on. I felt the upper hoses and they barley had any pressure built up, just a slight amount.

Does this indicate anything - anyone?

Also, does the lower rad hose that connects to the bottom of the thermostat always stay cold even after the vehicle has been running?

Thanks again everyone.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Mudding

lr2001silver - O'Reilly's auto parts does not show a fan clutch for a 2004 discovery. They show the fan cluth for 2002 and older but not for the 2003 or 2004.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
TReK

So do you have the water fall sound of sloshing water when you take off from red lights??

If so - there is air in your cooling system.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Mudding

jfall - no water sloshing sounds, all good there.

I talked with a mechanic that i've been recently using and he pointed out a couple of things. One is that the 212 degree boiling point if for water not antifreeze. Since the boiling point for antifreeze is much higer at 265 degrees in a closed system, even if the vehicle hits temperatures of 212 degrees, it is still in effect cooling. If the vehicle was to go anywhere near this temperature the dash gauge would raise unless the gauge is not functioning properly. This summer I had a leak in the bleeder screw on the top hoses and when the coolant dropped, my gauge jumped qucikly at which point I shut off the vehicle and replaced the hoses so I know the gauge works!

He then pointed out that if the thermostat or the rad were blocked that I would get the overheating which would also more than likely show on the dash gauge.

His suggestion is to check the viscous fan first when the vehicle is absolutely cold. If the fan blades move by hand then it's the fan. If they don't then I will flush the sytem with water, replace the t-stat put new coolant in, bleed the hoses, look for leaks and go from there.

Do these steps seem like the right way to go?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 PM
TReK

Sounds good.
The fan blades will move a bit by hand.

The fan roars as the content which binds the fan inside is settled and as the fan turns the content unsettles and gets into an operational mode where as the pressure from the coiled thermostatic element begins to govern the RPM of the fan.

Agreed.

212F is not the end of the world - but - that is the set point where
Land Rover turn on the cooling fan.

As these engines suffer from dropped sleeves in the cylinders - best to keep it cool and that fan should not run at all in the winter.

Mine does the same thing - after I come home and slow down in the driveway - the fan kicks on.

Bugs me.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Mudding

jfall -

Yeah, this cooling fan coming on bugs me too... obviously!

The secondary air problem I have has been bugging me for sometime before this cooling fan issue but since the cooling fan is more important, my attention is there at the moment.

I agree with always keeping the Disco as cool as possible. I have read up on the sleeves slipping / dropping. As soon as my finances allow I am going to do the head gasket... you know just to find out what surprises I will have to always shell out for!!!

Have a great weekend!

Quick Reply: 2004 Discovery Cooling Fan Running in Very Cold Weather