Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery needs undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 04:28 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Discovery needs undercoating

I am looking for recommendations as to an excellent body shop in the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Pennsylvania area that specializes in under coating. I have a 2004 discovery that needs to be under coated any suggestions

Old 01-27-2022, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

I can't suggest a body shop but will suggest this stuff. If you have existing rust at any level you would need to remove it which can be a ton of work or nearly impossible or hit it with this. Hard coatings also called paint don't last. Even when marketed for rust prevention, converting, coating or whatever. This stuff coats and will contain rust without drying out. Only drawback is that it remains oily, which is also why it works. Over time it becomes tacky but not a big deal and cleans up fine. There are other brands similar to this.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-27-2022, 10:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read about a product called "Cosmoline". It's available brand name is RP-342. (available on Amazon, but pricey) Its goes on wet then dries to a wax like end result. They use it on military vehicles and applications. It's been used for many years to store firearms, etc.

Look it up on Youtube, etc.

I plan to use it myself...

Old 01-27-2022, 11:09 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My latest truck spent a lot of time in the Midwest with the previous owner and had some sort of undercoating on it but also showed a lot of rust. More than I expected unfortunately.

Grinding it off didn't work so I found a dustless blaster service that would blast my frame on the truck. Brought the truck to a shop that had a lift and the blaster company went to work. Frame turned out better than I expected but it's sadly it doesn't look like a new frame. No holes or major damage though.

Once it was down to bare metal, I did the following: sprayed with Ospho, Cleaned any residue left after Ospho, used POR15 metal etch, Painted on POR15, and then went over it with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator spray paint. I also used the Eastwood Interior Frame coating. I plan to do another coating of the Encapsulator and then topping that off with Eastwood Frame paint.

If it were me, I'd avoid any undercoating if you can, it seems to just mess up the underside. Try to keep it out of the winter salt or make sure you're cleaning the underside really well and very often during the winter.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:15 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by anbran
I've read about a product called "Cosmoline". It's available brand name is RP-342. (available on Amazon, but pricey) Its goes on wet then dries to a wax like end result. They use it on military vehicles and applications. It's been used for many years to store firearms, etc.

Look it up on Youtube, etc.

I plan to use it myself...
Cosmoline is the mythical product that the Russians used to seal their crated weapons in between wars. I have no idea what it's made out of, but it's what you would find on a Soviet surplus weapon that was just out of the crate. It's nasty and messy and after you clean it off you'll both love and hate it. It's like smelling 2-stroke oil and having find memories of smelling 2-stroke oil until you remember it burned your eyes and such.

No idea how it would preserve a frame, but it seems to work well for weapon crates.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Project Farm to the rescue!

Old 01-28-2022, 05:10 AM
Mudding
Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

I have used Rust Check on my vehicles here in Indianapolis, IN, where the use of road salt is one of the main responses to snow. It works great, if it’s in your area, check it out. Stops rust!

https://www.rustcheck.com

Last edited by H Hill; 01-28-2022 at 10:21 AM.