Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Fan Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Fan Clutch Replacement

88k mile truck. Occasionally overheats. Heavy squeal under the hood. All pulleys seem ok and turn good. Replaced Tensioner and idlers. AC clutch spins fine, power steering pump pulley is a little more tight to spin but I know that doesn't affect overheating (thinking that might end up being my next repair though)

Purchased thermostat/housing, water pump and went to get a fan clutch (lots of squealing and believe it is from this) and because its an 2004 I am struggling finding part number or even better an after market replacement. Am I stuck at a $225 plus with this fan clutch because its a 2004 model? I want to do them all at one time so I can stick my wife in this truck and know her and the kids can drive and not stare at temp gauges more than speedometer (not to mention the annoying squeal as she enters the neighborhood)...Resources or point to right direction would help?

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

on a 04 isn't the fan blade and clutch all one piece?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

They may have a combo fan and clutch, but water pump (at least on Atlantic British) shows to be same on 04 as earlier models, (94-04). So in theory the Chevy conversion in the tech sticky (about $50) would screw right on to water pump, might have to change bolt hole on fan slightly. The Chevy GMC clutch is 6 inch diameter counter clockwise rotation. See https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...acement-32370/

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-08-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are going to be keeping your 04 for a long time, consider buying a fan and clutch from an early model D2, that way you can swap out just the clutch if it fails.
Also if you want to save some money, call Paul Grant, located in my signature section, and buy either fan set ups from him, used with a warranty.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you are going to be keeping your 04 for a long time, consider buying a fan and clutch from an early model D2, that way you can swap out just the clutch if it fails.
Also if you want to save some money, call Paul Grant, located in my signature section, and buy either fan set ups from him, used with a warranty.
Thanks Mike, Will a earlier D2 fan and clutch bolt up to my 04 water pump? If so I agree and will just buy a earlier D2 clutch but with the fan and have it all put in at the same time? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A D2 and a D2 use the same water pump, so yes, it will screw on to the water pump. As a DIY project, this is a piece of cake. Except for the tiny issue of breaking loose the existing clutch from the water pump. Many sailors have blushed at the language that results from owners attempting to remove the clutch. You basically take a wrench that will fit the clutch bolt, restrict movement of the belt (pull up on it, jam rags under it) and whack the handle of the wrench with a hammer, sharp and hard. Toward the passenger side of a North American Spec vehicle. Strong and steady with a long handle wrench merely moves the pulley.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
A D2 and a D2 use the same water pump, so yes, it will screw on to the water pump. As a DIY project, this is a piece of cake. Except for the tiny issue of breaking loose the existing clutch from the water pump. Many sailors have blushed at the language that results from owners attempting to remove the clutch. You basically take a wrench that will fit the clutch bolt, restrict movement of the belt (pull up on it, jam rags under it) and whack the handle of the wrench with a hammer, sharp and hard. Toward the passenger side of a North American Spec vehicle. Strong and steady with a long handle wrench merely moves the pulley.
Thanks for the tip. I am gonna DIY it as soon as the fan and clutch get here. Hopefully the water pump wont be to bad either.