Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 LR Discovery Windshield Wiper RELAY

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 LR Discovery Windshield Wiper RELAY

Hi Folks,

I have this issue, my wipers wont work anymore. I believe that it may just be the relay as they worked in and out and eventually just stopped. Go figure they didn't work when it rained - no surprise there. Anyway, I want to order the relay but I'm really not sure which one to get?

Do I get just one or do I replace a few of them?
I'm not sure if the link will work and show the product but is this the only relay I need?

Windshield Washer Relay

Search parts by keyword - NAPA Auto Parts

Part number AR6443 Description Windshield Washer Relay Attribute # of Terminals: 4

Any Help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Bartlomiej

Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hmmm... could also be the stalk switch. Can you unplug the relay you wish to swap? If so, you could use a wire to jump the base contacts 30 & 87 to see if they work. Some relays on back of fuse panel might be hard to change out.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 LR Discovery Windshield Wiper RELAY-d2-fuse-panel.jpg  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Drifting

@SavannahBuzz

I'm not good with electrical and wiring etc. What is the Stalk Switch? The Relays are the yellow boxes you plug into the fuse box are they not? I don't think they are behind the fuse panel? That wouldn't make sense if you ask me. Fuses and Relays should be easily accessible so anyone with some handy man in them can change them. Or am I wrong?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Look at this page from the RAVE electrical library. The relays you get to on the front side of the fuse panel might not be the ones you want. Also pix of base of stalk switch, steering wheel just has to be turned 90 degrees to get at it. Some guys have dismantled and cleaned switch.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 fuse panel 1.pdf (429.8 KB, 670 views)
d2 stalk switch.pdf (453.0 KB, 630 views)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Drifting

HOLY, thats seems like A LOT of work just to test and check that stalk switch. etc.
What do you think it would take in hours to have a mechanic do all that?
I'm not sure if I want to start taking apart the steering wheel. Especially since its my only vehicle...

Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

You don't take the wheel off. Just turn 90 degrees to get at the screws. It could be a fuse you have not found, like Fuse 19. It could be the relay, the IDM module, the BCM program, the stalk switch, the wiper motor.

If you can operate the flick switch and make it wipe once, then the motor and fuse are good. Here is a schematic, you might have to break out a volt meter.

Attached Files
d2 wiper schematic.pdf (698.2 KB, 584 views)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

re: Fuses and Relays should be easily accessible so anyone with some handy man in them

Yep, just like the fuel filter on a D2. The Rover rascal who designed a lot of this also went on to design the Tiger Woods cellphone encryption app ...

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Drifting

Well here is exactly what happened. Basically it started acting funny.
A couple of times it worked and then didn't. Once I shut the car off 3x and tried to get it to work. At the 3rd attempt they worked again. Flick and Turn of the switch.

Now, the flick wont work and the turn wont do anything either. I did check all the fuses and they are fine. So its either the relay or the switch. But what do I know.

I will take a look at what you sent me! How long do you think the mechanic would spend on something like this?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Always get an estimate. Big shops have a flat rate manual or table they go by.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Hey thanks again for the material you sent me! If I need anything else I will post!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 2004 LR Discovery Windshield Wiper RELAY