Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 SE7 push button ignition help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 11:06 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 SE7 push button ignition help

Hi all, so I am trying to follow this thread and I am having trouble. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...n-start-94316/

I beleive I have everything hooked up right, but it is not turning over. The acc will power but when I try to start it will not turn. Can anyone explain the wiring in a more detailed explanation than what is in that thread? It talks about hooking up four wires from the ignition. Mine ignition has 5 wires on it. What does each wire do and what is the 5th wire that is just not hooked up at all? Also, it mentions hooking into the thicker wire on the brake switch. I have two thick wires and a brown thin wire unless I am looking at the wrong plug. What do these three wires do? Also, now I am not getting brake lights at all. I think I might have messed something up, but without knowing the wires, I wouldnt be able to figure out where. I have looked at the rave diagrams and I am not finding what I am looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this going again or has anyone done this that might have some more detailed pics for me? Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-11-2019, 01:34 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

if you read through that thread, i provide additional details at the end -- specifically about the brake wiring.

ignore the ignition barrel wires. you need to work on the brown plug. join the four wires from the plug to four of the wires on the push-button wiring loom as shown in the picture on post #10. the instructions for the button state that the black wire from the button loom connects to the chassis of the truck -- i put a loop connector on it to make that easy to do.

when it comes to the brake wires, you're not supposed to cut anything or remove anything. use a parallel wire connector to connect the appropriate wire from the new unit (there are two wires, but the instructions say to only use one of them) to the thick green wire with a purple stripe.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:25 PM
8th Gear

Thanks!. I am not sure how I missed your last comment. What exactly is a parallel splice connector? I used a T-Tap Splice on one of the big wires. I am going to have to double check which one. But from the sounds of it, I should be able to start it with either one? So, then I wonder what I am missing...

So the connector I am splicing into is the one that originally ran to the ignition, right? If so, then the instructions only have me reconnect 4 of the 5 wires. What is the 5th wire and why is it not needed? If I have everything hooked up right, what might another issue be that is keeping it for starting?

Old 10-11-2019, 02:58 PM
TReK

sorry, i have been misleading you by saying four wires, because you had initially said that the thread talked about hooking up four wires. it doesn't say that. it gives specific wire colours for five wires so i'm not sure where your confusion comes from.

parallel splice connector: https://www.autozone.com/ignition/el...rplice/18663_0
i guess those would do the same as the splice connector. since you say you have no brake lights at all now, perhaps you actually do have a connection there but have mis-wired something so you're causing a short to ground, which in turn will cause the brake light fuse to blow.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:28 PM
8th Gear

There are 5 wires coming from the module, but one goes to ground. The other 4 connect to the 4 wires mentioned. Which leaves a 5th wire from the original plug that is not connected to anything. Am I misreading them?

EDIT: That is the splice I used. I got mine at home depot but other than that, same thing.

Last edited by Nick Johnson; 10-11-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:51 PM
TReK

on the new harness there should be...

brown
blue
yellow
red
white
black

which makes SIX wires.

with black going to ground, that leaves FIVE wires to connect to the FIVE wires from the original harness.
just as is described in the original thread.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:55 PM
8th Gear

Omg dude, I swear to God that read that same paragraph 8 times and never saw the brown to white. My eyes like skipped over it and jumped to the second one every time. After you said that I went back and was like what is this guy talking about that I am missing. I slowed my reading down and read it letter by letter finally realizing that I am an idiot. Well, I hooked it up and it is still doing the same thing. Also my brake switch was not turned in all the way. I now have brake lights.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:44 AM
TReK

use a multimeter to check the continuity of all the connection you made between the brown plug and the plug on the new harness. make sure your black wire is connected to a good ground (there are some bolts on the back plate just beside the fusebox that work well).
which brake light wire did you connect to?

Old 10-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Please take some pictures I'll be doing this soon

Old 10-12-2019, 08:16 PM
TReK

there are pictures in the original thread. it's not at all difficult to follow them.