Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.9 and 4.0/4.6 transmission compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 04:21 AM
Mudding
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@PickleRick just curious what are the legalities of disabling ABS where you are. Here you will get a massive fine and invalidate your insurance, which could leave you open to a pretty hefty lawsuit in the event of accident.

But unless you remove the SLABS computer or delete the sensors the ABS should be fine.
We're not taking this thread into that direction. We lived a long time with no abs or throttle body heaters. Some might even say those were simpler, happier and more affordable times.

Last edited by PickleRick; 11-02-2022 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:09 PM
TReK
Received 524 Likes on 454 Posts

Richard do you really think that’s the case in British Columbia? Like Rick says, older vehicles never had it, and you can turn it off on a lot of new vehicles. Having said that, I think it’s a really good system and I personally wouldn’t want to disable it.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:39 PM
Mudding

It will only be disabled if I have to.

The Mercedes diesel needs more rpms than the V8 and will target shift points to keep rpms up when the next gear hits so you don't fall out of the peak torque range. This range is much more narrow than gas motors. Lugging a diesel can drastically shorten the life span (too low rpms).

We occasionally get sleet and snow so I want to keep open differentials and eventually install a selectable rear locker.

I am much more familiar with VW diesels than I am Mercedes but I cannot get a VW adapter for our gear boxes. They appear to be behave in a similar manner enjoy 2000 to 3000 rpms.

So to do this gears will need to be changed, 4.56 is my target. It may be cheaper for me to run fj80 axles with regear and locker than build my Rover axles plus regear and locker. Rovers offer 4.36 and 4.75.

If I go fj80 the abs will be deleted and run non abs brake components from non abs 80.

Build plans change based on deals I find. 60 axles wouldn't bother me either but I'd need to compare widths.

It's not cheap to build a Rover axle and an 60/80 axle with 33s isn't likely to pop if you drive with some sense even locked.

Last edited by PickleRick; 11-02-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:07 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

@Harvlr @PickleRick Sorry I did not want imply it was a huge hazard, or start a fight.

I am well aware that vehicles,braking systems still function and will stop without ABS. I was curious about legal ramifications rather than functionality.

In BC if you disable ABS as opposed to a failure, then yes ICBC will invalidate your insurance and sue you if use it on anything that is part of the hiway system and get involved in an accident assuming they realise it.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Harvlr @PickleRick Sorry I did not want imply it was a huge hazard, or start a fight.

I am well aware that vehicles,braking systems still function and will stop without ABS. I was curious about legal ramifications rather than functionality.

In BC if you disable ABS as opposed to a failure, then yes ICBC will invalidate your insurance and sue you if use it on anything that is part of the hiway system and get involved in an accident assuming they realise it.
No worries, I just want to focus on the Mercedes fitment of this.

I find aggressive and distracted drivers much more dangerous than any properly built non abs rig.

For clarification, the booster and master cylinder should be properly sized for the calipers it's being attached to for proper pedal pressure. An adjustable proportional valve is also needed to control braking balance. You can't just bypass the abs pump and call it a day.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (11-02-2022)