Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos + BRAKE light

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Amigos + BRAKE light

I know the three amigos issue has been discussed to death here already but I have searched the forum and nothing mentions my exact issue.

Today while driving I hit a large crown in the road where one street going through the intersection sits higher than the other. Going up and over the road caused my rear shocks to bottom out with an audible "thunk" from the rear end. Several minutes later I had the ABS TC HDC and BRAKE lights all come on at the same time. I checked the code and I get a P1590 which is the rough road/ABS fault.

I don't think my shuttle valves would be bad because I either use or exercise the HDC at least once a month to make sure nothing gets frozen from dis-use. The last time I had the truck on a trail was about a week ago and the HDC traction control and ABS all worked properly.

I understand the BRAKE light is not normally associated, I checked my fluid level and it is at the Max point and the float is free. Does anybody have any ideas what caused this and how I can troubleshoot it? It seems odd that everything worked fine a week ago then I go over a bump and my dash lights up like a Christmas tree.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 05-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

brake light circuit is two switches, the float switch and the handbrake. If you unplug the float switch connector and light stays lit the the hand brake is suspect. I try to call it a hand brake because it is about as effective as dragging your hand on the pavement.....

Old 05-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps one of your rear brake lines was damaged when you bottomed out.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Three Wheeling

I just went and unplugged the wire on top of the reservoir and the brake light is still on. I always use the handbrake when I park to keep the cable and mechanism free and the light has always come on and gone out as appropriate until now.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Mike,
Exercising your ABS module won't help, maintain or fix the 3 amigos.
You better plan on either buying the 3 amigo scanner or pays the big bucks to have a shop read them, fix it and then pay the shop to turn them off, and most shops won't.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Three Wheeling

The brake light came on because of the road fault. I had basically the same issue on my 2004. I bought the Autel AL 619 off Amazon that can read and clear the ABS codes. Its $30-$40 cheaper than the ABS Amigo and works on basically any car. Check out my thread about it.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Alan I will check that out.

-Mike

Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Three Wheeling

Alan,

Thanks a lot for the tip on the AL619 scanner. It worked great. It is cheaper and has much more functionality then the ABS Amigo. I am surprised this scanner is not more well known amongst the Rover community. You can't beat a full function scanner with graphing and printing capability that also reads and re-sets ABS and SRS codes for less than $175. I almost bought the ABS amigo and I am very glad I didn't.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Phillips
The brake light came on because of the road fault. I had basically the same issue on my 2004. I bought the Autel AL 619 off Amazon that can read and clear the ABS codes. Its $30-$40 cheaper than the ABS Amigo and works on basically any car. Check out my thread about it.
The brake light can not come on because of a fault code, only if the e-brake is not totally released or your brake fluid is low.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Prior to getting the scanner I checked my brake fluid, the float in the reservoir and the hand brake switch and I could not get the brake light to go off. After I cleared the codes the brake light went out immediately and is now functioning normally. I do believe at least in the '04 that the brake warning light comes on in conjunction with ABS faults.

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos + BRAKE light