Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigos -- GONE! Pics--may be slow to load.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 3 amigos GONE! Picsmay be slow to load.

ORIGINAL: tango123

what does the shuttle valve modulator do? I'm a newbie at this..
With any vehicle with ABS, the module is the controller of the brake pressure to each wheel and as such does the computer controlled stopping for you on slippery surfaces.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it really necessary to open bleeder before pushing piston in during brake pad replacements? Working in dealerships all these years, I have only seen a few guys do that.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Mudding

where did you purchase the part???

Ralph

Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the same Power Bleeder but mine fit perfectly on the Rover master cylinder. It's a 45mm fitting for European vehicles and comes with a rubber gasket to ensure a tight seal. I bought the Black Label version that came with an aluminum adapter rather than plastic and also bought a separate adapter to use on my Dodge and my buddy's Heep.

I made the mistake of trying to do 2 things at once and removed the brake pads while I had pressure on the system to bleed it. Came back to put the pads back in and one of the caliper pistons was all the way out against the rotor. A careful use of screwdriver to push the piston back after releasing the pressure and all was good to go.

For future reference, IMPORT generally means vehicles from Japan and Korea. EUROPEAN are obviously European vehicles to include Land Rover, Mercedes, Saab, Volvo, Porsche, BMW, VW...

Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Mudding

Very useful info. I will know what to do when the time comes. Thanks.

Fred

Old 02-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Mudding

This is an example of a DIY information with pictures that should be put into a "D2 section".
Moderators please make a section for this very helpful information that Stan took time to make: Example D1 and D2 DIY sections.
This information will soon be lost as soon as threads pile up. Search function is not always effective. Trust me.
I'm sure someone in the near future will ask how to fix the "3 amigos". This is the info that they need.

Hey Mike you're a moderator right?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by discoboy
Is it really necessary to open bleeder before pushing piston in during brake pad replacements? Working in dealerships all these years, I have only seen a few guys do that.
Think of it this way..

Where do you think the dirtiest nastiest brake fluid resides? Where does it get heat and cold cycled the most.. where would moisture more than likely build up?

My answer, the Caliper..

IF you take the lazy mans way out, you'll pop the top of the resevoir and just push this nasty fluid back up into your entire braking system..

If you unscrew the bleeder, the nastiest fluid, the water, and the grime in the system gets pushed OUT of the system.

I did the same thing until someone explained the above to me.. now I unscrew the bleed valves on all calipers when I replace pads. Car, truck and bike.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Oh, and when you do, use a clean catch so you can see how cruddy the fluid at the caliper is, and you'll see the 'stuff' you were getting ready to push into your entire braking system.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tads
RAVE is the shop manuel for Land Rovers. Anyone can get one. Go to roverrenovations.com and search RAVE CD. They'll send you one. They are very helpful in jobs like this one and others.

Cheers!
Rover-renovations.com is no longer sending out RAVE CDs. Their site says they'll be offering one for download, but it's not available there yet. If you need a RAVE CD, go to green-oval.com and look for the downloads section, or click this link:

http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.p...d=13&Itemid=29

Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you find that kit? I looked on several sites and couldn't find it. TIA

Quick Reply: 3 amigos -- GONE! Pics--may be slow to load.