Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigos mod holding up so far

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
Replacing the ABS modulator and shuttle valve switch fixes most Disco three amigos issues. The parts are not all that expensive. Surprised the Moderator allows step-by-step instructions for modifying factory ABS functionality which is an important safety feature on our trucks.

I think this mod is ill advised - my .02 cents.
Your high as a kite dude. Your fixing a ground. I replaced the shuttle valve and it did nothing.

Nothing inexpensive about replacing an ABS Modulator. Heck, the kit is over $700

ABS Modulator Valve Kit (Part # SWO500040) | Land Rover Discovery II Brake Parts

Let's not got into replacing the whole Modulator with a new one! That's over $2,000

Let it be known that as of this day, no more 3 amigos. Even a new MAF fixed my CL. IMO, This forum is priceless.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
THIS MOD DOES NOT MODIFY FACTORY ABS FUNCTIONALITY. IT RESTORES IT.

Please know what you're talking about instead of libeling the forum.
Strictly speaking this mod DOES NOT restore factory ABS functionality. The ONLY way to restore factory functionality is to replace the broken OEM parts. Anything else is a work-around. I get that the electrical connections mimic the factory wiring I'm just pointing out that there could be liability -- I'm certainly not disparaging the Forum.

Last edited by Fast951; 07-25-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MPDano
Your high as a kite dude. Your fixing a ground. I replaced the shuttle valve and it did nothing.

Nothing inexpensive about replacing an ABS Modulator. Heck, the kit is over $700

ABS Modulator Valve Kit (Part # SWO500040) | Land Rover Discovery II Brake Parts

Let's not got into replacing the whole Modulator with a new one! That's over $2,000

Let it be known that as of this day, no more 3 amigos. Even a new MAF fixed my CL. IMO, This forum is priceless.
I'm high says the guy who thought he could fix his Three Amigos by replacing only the Shuttle Valve switch?

Atlantic British prices are insane, took me all of 2 minutes to find a WABCO kit for about $450 USD.

https://www.lrdirect.com/SWO500040-M...keep_https=yes

Hydraulics are rarely the problem, no need to replace the whole unit for $2K.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Strictly speaking this mod DOES NOT restore factory ABS functionality. The ONLY way to restore factory functionality is to replace the broken OEM parts.
You seem to be confusing FORM with FUNCTION.
This mod does restore the factory ABS function EXACTLY. It does not, however, restore the original form of the ABS unit.
In the extreme unlikelihood that an incident occurred on a truck which was running this repair, and a suit was brought against the person who did the repair, it is an open question as to whether or not a jury would find that this repair was (wholly or partially) at fault. In such cases it is common to look to professionals -- and enthusiasts on forums such as this one -- to provide information about a workaround or repair if such has been performed. It's also why garages carry insurance to cover their repair work, and why forums have disclaimers stating that you're using any suggestions at your own risk.
Misunderstanding basic English words isn't usually covered though.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:10 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This modification is new to me. I went to a junkyard to find a replacement modulator. It has worked great since, but if it fails I will try this.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
In the extreme unlikelihood that an incident occurred on a truck which was running this repair, and a suit was brought against the person who did the repair, it is an open question as to whether or not a jury would find that this repair was (wholly or partially) at fault.

I'm not a lawyer, but we all know that lawyers will look for someone to sue. If sued about this mod wouldn't it need to be shown that the mod failed to perform as it should and that caused damages? The mere fact that there's a modification to a vehicle doesn't create liability.

It's also why garages carry insurance to cover their repair work, and why forums have disclaimers stating that you're using any suggestions at your own risk.

I expect most shops wouldn't do an Option B modification due to the liability, even though we know, and the shop would know if they looked into it, that the mod is incredibly simple and robust.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling

You seem to be confusing FORM with FUNCTION.
This mod does restore the factory ABS function EXACTLY. It does not, however, restore the original form of the ABS unit.
In the extreme unlikelihood that an incident occurred on a truck which was running this repair, and a suit was brought against the person who did the repair, it is an open question as to whether or not a jury would find that this repair was (wholly or partially) at fault. In such cases it is common to look to professionals -- and enthusiasts on forums such as this one -- to provide information about a workaround or repair if such has been performed. It's also why garages carry insurance to cover their repair work, and why forums have disclaimers stating that you're using any suggestions at your own risk.
Misunderstanding basic English words isn't usually covered though.
Yeah. Well, I'm here trying to give helpful, common sense advice while others are attempting to convince the forum how sharp they are by parsing words.

Bottom line is cutting into the under hood harness is rarely a good idea. Even if the directions to perform a mod are very good, which I think these are, there will always be a guy who ignores the details and connects wires using wire nuts. We've all seen it.

Also remember that when a vehicle is sold on to the next owner there is an excellent chance they'll have no idea WTF was done, and their 'excellent mechanic' who is likely a parts changer (again, we've all seen it) will have no earthly idea what was done to the ABS or how to service it. Especially if parts are modified, and wires are cut then re-routed.

So, as before my suggestions are (1) fix it right, and (2) this forum should carefully consider promoting any mod that alters OEM safety-related systems.

That is all.

Last edited by Fast951; 07-28-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers, Small Keyboard
Old 07-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

So, as before my suggestions are (1) fix it right, and (2) this forum should carefully consider promoting any mod that alters OEM safety-related systems.

That is all.
Any non OEM part fits what you are describing. From rotors, brake pads, tires, and fluids. You point is not valid and if it was , every aftermarket store front would be held liable.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm high says the guy who thought he could fix his Three Amigos by replacing only the Shuttle Valve switch?

Atlantic British prices are insane, took me all of 2 minutes to find a WABCO kit for about $450 USD.

https://www.lrdirect.com/SWO500040-M...keep_https=yes

Hydraulics are rarely the problem, no need to replace the whole unit for $2K.
Yeah moron. I replaced that shuttle valve when I first bought the Disco off my mom as a non-runner. I also replaced that shuttle valve "before" I saw this great fix and "before" I even knew what the 3 amigos meant and "before" I found this great forum. It's putzes like yourself that outside of this 50 cent fix and says that the " so called correct fix is to replace an 'inexpensive' modulator that even a repair kit is almost $500!" Well moron, that's a 1000% difference in fixing a ground fault.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

That is all.
He said that is all. Let's let it go and pray that is the case.

Quick Reply: 3 amigos mod holding up so far