Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigos questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 amigos questions

Well it had to happen sooner or later I guess. At the end of the day I made two quick runs through the mud pit and two runs through the water pit. Just as I was leaving Hollister, the 3 amigos turned on and won't turn off after re-starting the engine. The couple times they have come on in the past they would go away with a re-start.

The brakes are also squealing like mad around 5-10 mph when stopping. The pads were sprayed with brake cleaner last month when the lift went in and the sound deadening goop was applied too. I need a road (gravel?) to test the ABS and feel for the pulsing sensation in the pedal, but how fast should I be going when I hit the brakes? I'm debating on going to an indy repair shop here in the city to get the codes read or just taking it down to Cerrone's (about 30 miles away) and have them take care of it.

Is it worth taking the tires off and looking for any mud I may have missed around the wheels/brakes? I was going to use a power washer (used garden hose instead) but in California you can't use them for the engine compartment or under carriage according to the stalls I stopped at on the way home.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 3 amigos questions

Before you see Frank or another shop, you have to power scrub the brakes, getting rid of all of the mud cause it will just continue to make noise and keep the trio on.
Most likely after cleaning everything up, you can clear the codes and they won't come back on.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Mike, will keep you posted.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Last weekend, after using the garden hose to wash the mud off, I used a power washer on the wheels too. This morning I took it down to Cerrone's and had the codes read and cleared. There was an intermitent sensor fault and one for the shuttle valve, as far as the 3 amigos are concerned. The 3 amigos stayed off on the way home ~40 miles. Here's hoping that they stay off for a good long while. If it is the shuttle valve, Tony mentioned a kit that might be able to fix this, it sounds hit and miss at best for a repair. Has Wabco made a newer version of the modulator so I won't be in the same boat if it gets replaced?

Edit: I also just found this too.

Thanks