Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos Repair -- Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Amigos Repair -- Lessons Learned

Last weekend I replaced my front left hub -- it wast toast, grinding like metal on metal. It had been acting up for a few weeks and right after/before it started making noise the 3 Amigos Showed Up.

I purchased a used hub from Paul Grant which was cheap and delivered quickly. I installed last weekend hoping the 3 Amigos would go away -- They did not.

Lesson Learned -- check the Hub Puller from the Loan-a-Tool at the Auto Parts Store (in my case Advance) -- the treads were stripped and I spent way to much time thinking I had a stuck hub when in fact I had a bad tool.

My Amigo Code reader has consistently showed a "Left Front ABS Sensor Low Voltage" which I was hoping that was caused by the bad hub -- But I was wrong.

Replaced the ABS Sensor on the front left with a replacement purchased off of EBay -- original configuration with connector in the engine bay on the fender.

Amigos are currently gone -- will advise if that changes.

Lessons Learned
-- When I replace the hub again I will assume the ABS Sensor was damaged by the hub. There was was minor damage on the head of the sensor that I was hoping was not a problem and I was wrong.

-- Just because a sensor passes the multi-meter test does not mean it is good. I tested from the connector in the engine bay and at the ECU Slabs with the multi-meter and both times it seems correct.

-- I installed by compressing the connector a little (flattenely) and passing through wheel hub opening and slowly passing the wire through this opening until I could install the ABS Sensor. While tight it was doable, I used a flat blade screwdriver and hammer to help.

-- I did have to remove one (1) of the hub bolts (nearest the driver) to gain a little extra room and release ABS Sensor bracket but that way it. Thanks goodness the Rover Serice Manual was incorrect.

-- I did put a dab of grease on the tip of the ABS Sensor before installing (another forum member's "Lesson Learned")

UK

Last edited by ukwildcats; 07-13-2013 at 09:19 PM.