Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 fuses blow and disco wont shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 fuses blow and disco wont shift out of park

This past Christmas Eve I was driving to work and noticed that when I pushed the left turn signal that my trailer indicator would show on my dashboard. I have never towed anything with the disco and it was the first time I have seen this indicator show. When I left work and pulled out of the parking spot, the indicator telling me my differential was locked would show as long as I had my foot on the brake. I stopped, shifted the truck into park and when I tried to shift back into drive, it would not shift. After towing it to the house and then later finding that I could dismantle the shift console and push the pin aside which obstructs the shifter, I am able to drive the truck. However, I have the following fuses that have blown which make it illegal to drive:

1. The turn signal fuse under the hood. 2. The brake light fuse-this also seems to coincide with the shifter's inability to move from park. 3. The left tail light fuse-(I thought both tail lights would be on the same fuse but only the left is out). 4.The cruise control fuse. All fuses were replaced and seemed to fix the problem, but after the truck was driven at least 15 miles they all blew again and I was back where I started. I pulled the rear tail lights out and inspected the wiring for any visible signs of copper hoping to find a short but everything seemed normal. The trailer indicator now flashes like a turn signal. I also noticed I was missing Relay 6 under the hood but saw that on the cover plate diagram that Relay 6 looks to be the same as Relay 9. Is Relay 6 a backup for Relay 9 or do I need them both? Also-when I hook my computer up I have code P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1) show. The truck is drivable but definately not legal and I really don't want to take it to the dealer but it looks like it might be headed that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 3 fuses blow and disco wont shift out of park

First, there are no back up relays, what does the top say the relays are for?
How many miles on your truck?
PM me your tele number and I can walk you thru bypassing the brake switch so you can drive.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:09 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mike, could his brake switch have gone bad as well?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both Relays have the same icon picture on the fuse box cover. It shows what looks like a motor with a lightning bolt through it. Relay 9 is missing completely. Relay 6 is the one with the same picture. The truck just passed the dreaded 100,000 mile mark. The brake switch was replaced and didn't seem to change anything.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

PM me your tele number and I can walk you thru bypassing the brake switch so you can drive.
Can you tell the rest of us too?

You def have a short some where.
Some DII tails lights leak, always the drivers side, and get water inside and short out.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then theres the trailer hook up???? scott

Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Can you tell the rest of us too?

You def have a short some where.
Some DII tails lights leak, always the drivers side, and get water inside and short out.
He never got back to me so we could talk these issues out, so other then a brake switch, I have no idea what he has going on.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe there is a short in the trailer wiring hook up deal under the truck... it could cause most of the things he described and having the wires under the vehicle puts them in a precarious position to get destroyed by road debris...