Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 block to 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amen to that!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

and exactly when did you two become published author's on LR's ? there are a few already. Try reading Des Hammill or some of David Hardcastle publications, get yourselves published a few times then I might trust your obvious OPIONIONS.

Also just you would be quite surprise what a "district zone manager" does and does not know. They did not get in those positions because the don't know ****, they are in those positions because they have the knowledge to deal with customers and out side service personal that a dealer has no way to rectify the problems.

Just my opinion

Old 10-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Always got a good laugh whenever someone speaks of the liners being secured by adhesive!! Not sure how you would get the adhesive to stay in place with an interference fit of the liner to bore???

Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
and exactly when did you two become published author's on LR's ? there are a few already. Try reading Des Hammill or some of David Hardcastle publications, get yourselves published a few times then I might trust your obvious OPIONIONS.

Also just you would be quite surprise what a "district zone manager" does and does not know. They did not get in those positions because the don't know ****, they are in those positions because they have the knowledge to deal with customers and out side service personal that a dealer has no way to rectify the problems.
Just my opinion
LOL

Ok, well, thanks for that. Actually, I have a good collection of Hammill and hardcastle books in my posession already. I also have Vizard, Carroll smith, Joe Pettit, smokey Yunick, and many others. I also have god knows how many books on machinery design, manufacturing, machining and general engineering principles books.

I obviously don't know what a district manager knows, but strangely enough I don't aspire to know what a district manager knows. He has his speciality; and clearly has the knowledge sufficient to get to that position of authority.

I however, have knowledge of materials, how **** is cast, machined and assembled in production environments. I don't need to research what "adhesive was used". I know already there was no adhesive used. Experience has told me this. First-hand experience.

As regards the subject of the material used in the casting:
Alloy used in the casting of the Rover V8 blocks and heads. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

A simple google search would have bought that up.

Just my opinion
Mine too.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why is everyone trying to throw out their resumes? Admittedly, I haven't read books XY&Z, nor do I have a PhD in machining stuff. My bookshelves contain all the self help books my wife wishes I would read but don't. So, being in the same predicament 6 months ago, I spoke extensively with J.E.Robinson and Mark at D&D Fab. They both said that if you want a 4.6L without all the faults, you gotta go with a 99-00 P38. Their experience is without question and since they have no incentive to mislead in this particular area, I tend to trust their judgment. I went with a 00 Range Rover Bosch 4.6 for my top hat liner conversion, although with only 5K mi on it, I wouldn't really expect to see any issues no matter which block I used.

So maybe those years are the best/maybe not..any reason not to source one vs a different year? They don't cost extra, so why not error on the side of caution?

Last edited by Dan7; 10-30-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"I however, have knowledge of materials, how **** is cast, machined and assembled in."
Then you KNOW that there are good castings and bad castings, and if you ever worked in a foundry you would know that.
So you cant say just because everything was spec to be cast a certain way, doesn't mean it gets cast that way.
Might have been too hot, too cold may have been after a Manchester/United.
The 03 block Feisal is a prefect example of machining differences that can effect a casting.
So I will also stick with the real world experience, which is why I bought a 99 gems.

And smokey Yunick were did you dig that name up from he hasn't been relative since the sbc was new,
and I don't ever remember him running rovers.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-31-2013 at 07:13 AM.