Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6 Eating oil... please explain

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 4.6 Eating oil... please explain

Drummer-I agree with you, I would be pissed off too.

Discoboat-I do not know how one would find a leak in the intake manifold other than to remove it and look.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it does suck. thats why im pissed about it because it seems excessive. if it had over 100K on it I might understand, but it had been happening since 4X,XXX miles. I feel its a defect but it seems no way to prove it. I bought the truck at 23K and never really paid attention cause sched maint was free. So does that mean if im buring 1qt every 1000-1500 miles its ok according to land rover. What if Im burning 1.1 qt every 1000 miles? I think its BS, but what do I know.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All you can do is see if DiscoMike is right and have the intake manifold gasket looked at.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

"YUP"!!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you would need to be burning a lot of oil to see it coming out of the tail pipe. I would expect a good oil to burn off relatively cleanly.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-03-2008, 01:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any kind of breach withthe intake manifold gasketwill usually have a engine miss or other related problems if the breachis inthe intake air track.

A simple test you can do ishook up a vacuum gauge. If your manifold pressure is steady and not fluctuating, then your intake gasket isnot broken. If you don't have a vacuum gauge, spray the entireintake manifold with carb cleaner or starter fluid andsee if the engine rpm increases while the engine is running.

How's your PCV system? What does your plugs look like? If you have no signs of blue smoke during cold engine starts and during regulardriving, then I'm in agreement with you. Excess blow-by.There's no way to fix blow-by besides a cylinder rebuild. Honeand install new rings. Yes it sucks with only 40K miles, but those are the cards you were delt.

Earlier you mentioned you tried all types of oil and additives. How many miles didyou try thesynthetic oil? Maybe you didn't have the synthetic oil in there long enough to possibily do some good. It's going to be expensive adding 1qt of synthetic ever 1000 miles but that's something you may want to consider.

If you don't want to do the synthetic route due to the expense, try a high detergent diesel oil.The key is sticking with either oil for a minimum of 10-15K miles. If you don't want to gothose two routes, then I would use regular store brand oil forthe rest of the timeyou own that truck.

I can't believe I'm about to say this on a public forum,but if your mystery oil disappearing problem isnever fixed, I woulduse store brand oil and never drain the oil again.I would change the filter at the regular intervals, but not the oil. No need using the good stuff if you're burning, leaking or in your case mysteriously loosing oil. If you're adding1qtof oil every 1000miles, youroil will be a lot cleaner at 5000 miles compared to other 5K interval oil changes.More the reason to use store brand oil and just change the filter when due.

Sucks to be you, but it sounds like you're slowly accepting the situation.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a truck in the shop right now that has on three occasions been at least two quarts low on oil between scheduled services.

I am in the process of replacing the oil pan gasket, front crank seal, front cover gasket and valve cover gaskets as they are weeping. I think that the splash pan may be responsible for hiding much of this as it is so difficult to see if oil is leaking and where it might be coming from.

With respect to oil change frequency, I tell each and every one of my clients that frequent oil changes are probably the ONE thing we can do to extend the life of our Rover engines. In the scheme of things, the cost of oil changes is cheap compared to all the rest.

My wife gives me a hard time when I fuel my trucks as I check the oil and other fluids religiously (as a man of faith, this is yet another way to witness!). I calmly tell her that there is a reason I have never gotten fewer than 150K miles out of the engines in y vehicles and that the engine in my Disco has 226K miles on it and still runs for a reason!

Too many folks think that there vehicles will run with no oversight. Machines wear, they leak, they break. It's part of life!

Check your oil every time you fuel. With a Rover, this should be plenty often enough.

Cheers,
PT

Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CandiMan

. If you don't have a vacuum gauge, spray the entire intake manifold with carb cleaner or starter fluid and see if the engine rpm increases while the engine is running.

This works and will help find where its leaking.