Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 codes - need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, mileage is subjective. I have 128k and just had it apart for some updates. Just normal maintenance things and gaskets. I always stay on top of service and use top quality oils and parts. Engine is still like new. No tapping, everything is tight and clean as a whistle. Change your oil and stay on top of maintenance and your car will run forever.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok.... drove the truck today no issues during a cold start. After a few trips to the store / gas station / etc. During a warm start the check engine light came on. (not flashing like before) Since I drive around with the OBD reader I can check the code right away. It was only one code, the P0308 Cylinder 8 misfire detected.
I also am able to check the live data as I drive with this OBD and both Banks on my O2 sensors are reading, and appear to working fine.

Hey photocrimes, i noticed you are in Annapolis. I live in Severna Park. - small world!

Last edited by marshman442; 07-10-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Winching

Hey photocrimes, i noticed you are in Annapolis. I live in Severna Park. - small world!
I used to live in SP, may dad still does. Right off of Benfield Road. What color is your truck? I have seen about 10 Discos in the area

Just FYI, I have a bore scope if you ever want to take a look inside that cylinder.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Mudding

I might have to take you up on your offer for the scope if I need to confirm a coolant leak. I One of these days I will get around to pulling the plug(s) and see if I need to ck the cylinder further. - I'll let you know.

I am driving a Tan (white / gold) Disco - so you may have seen it running around town.

I live off of Benfield Blvd as well, I live in Shipley's Choice off of Gov. Stone. I used to live in Annapolis off Jenifer Road near the mall.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by marshman442
I might have to take you up on your offer for the scope if I need to confirm a coolant leak. I One of these days I will get around to pulling the plug(s) and see if I need to ck the cylinder further. - I'll let you know.

I am driving a Tan (white / gold) Disco - so you may have seen it running around town.

I live off of Benfield Blvd as well, I live in Shipley's Choice off of Gov. Stone. I used to live in Annapolis off Jenifer Road near the mall.
Know right where you are. My dad lives on Benfield by Jumpers. I grew up there. Remember when they built Shipley's. I have seen a tan one around. Other ones I see pretty regular in that area are a white one, a blue one with brush guard and lights, a gray one with brush guard, and a nice grey one with a lift kit and winch bumper. I'm guessing its because we have a LR dealer right up the street ;-)

Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Keep me informed on how this goes guys. Very interested to see how this turns out!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
With the mileage and all the work done on it, if you still have problems, send me your number and we should talk. At your mileage, you cam and the majority of your valve train is shot as is your timing chain, fuel pump and oil pump, so plan on putting some time in her if you want to get that sort of mileage all over again.
I know i am knocking on the door of some major failures in the near future. I anticipate either dropping in a new motor / drive train from a salvaged vehicle or buying a new short block. My goal is to keep driving the truck until then, so no sense in pulling the motor apart to repalce the timing chain, oil pump, etc.

In the interium, I have not had the check engine light come on in about a week. I do plan on replacing the O2 sensors. Any reccommendations as to where to by them?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by marshman442
I know i am knocking on the door of some major failures in the near future. I anticipate either dropping in a new motor / drive train from a salvaged vehicle or buying a new short block. My goal is to keep driving the truck until then, so no sense in pulling the motor apart to repalce the timing chain, oil pump, etc.

In the interium, I have not had the check engine light come on in about a week. I do plan on replacing the O2 sensors. Any reccommendations as to where to by them?
You can get bosch O2 censors from Autozone. 230,000 miles? Holy ****!

Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Mudding

here are some photos of the plugs.

This is plug Number EIGHT

Name:  IMG_4884.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  48.8 KB

This is Plug Number FIVE

Name:  IMG_4889.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  77.1 KB

Both plugs have approx 15,000 miles on them. It is obvious that #8 has a mis-fire. But I am not sure it is from a coolant leak b/c it is not "super clean" as described above. I drove the truck all week w/o a CEL coming on. However, I did notice the truck has a rough idle sometimes when it first starts and them runs fine for the 60 mile drive to work.

I do think I have two issues going on here.

(1) I have a coolant leak that I need to chase down. I am still slowly losing coolant (about a qt per week). I have no signs of coolant in the oil. No "sweet" smell from coolant buring off before it hits the ground and no smoke in the exhaust.

(2) something is causing the mis fire. Plugs, wires, coils packs. - Not sure......

Does anyone have any sugestions before I start spending money buying plugs, wires, coil packs, etc?

Last edited by marshman442; 07-16-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Mudding

Looks to me like its time for headgaskets. Don't get the cheap O2 sensors Atlantic British has them on sale until the end of august for $60 a piece. Get the offset O2 wrench from O'reilly's for $10.00.

Quick Reply: 5 codes - need help