Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60K Service and more for used vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from Iraq, Waking Up My Rover

1995 Disco has been sitting around for over a year. (Wife started it once a month while I was away).

169,000 Miles, runs great. No big problems.

Noted that some of the door actuators are quirky, but otherwise good.

Other than oil change, plugs, seafoam, etc..., anything important to pay attention to from leaving it sit?

Steve

Does anyone know the green color name? Have problems with clearcoat on hood. Thought I better get some paint to patch once I try to tackle the clear
coat.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

where do you hook into the intake to suck the seafoam into the engine? thanks

Old 04-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Mudding

At the passenger end of the throttle body there is a small vcuum source with a cap on it. I used that and it worked wonderfully..... smoked out the whole neighborhood and half the countryside by the time I was done.... it was sweet!!!!!! The throttle body was disguting and brown sludge.. used an entire large can of carb cleaner to get it all to dissolve.

Now, here is my latest question:

Where do I get a thermostat? Advance and Auto Zone have no listing...

Where do I find synthetic Steering Fluid? Advance and Auto Zone have none.....

Got the oil changed and the engine sludge cleaned out. The ATF came out blacker than the oil did..... now I get to see how much we leak. Used Royal Purple with a M1-301.

Fixed my cruise control, the vacuum tube running from the one module under the hood to the other was cracked right at the connection.

Soon as I get a t-stat I will get the brown - yes I said brown - AF changed out and replaced with some nice bright new orange.

Under the truck is a mess... covered with oil, especially the front differential and the oil pan are..pretty nasty. Once I get further caught up and get all the rest of the fluids changed, i will see about tracking down all the leaks, but might as well have some clean fluids to work with.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:42 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Any idea how much the 60k service will cost at a dealer? Thanks

Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, go power scrub your entire truck at the local car wash, can't hurt a thing.
Buy a t/stat at Atlantic British or Rover connection, do you have the old style upper radiator hose with the bleed screw in it or is the bleed screw in the black plastic tee. Up grade to the new style hose with the new tee if you don't have it.
Check Redline oil or Royal Purple for the P/S/ fluid.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Mudding

Will do.

Will do.

Not sure, but will do.

Will do.

Thanks again!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to be doing this maintenance to both our Discos over the next few weeks.

My only question is this:

Disco_Mike, where's the link to your website where you sell "How To" DVDs and a workbook on this 60k maintenance for $197?

Oh, wait- you aren't selling anything like that? Bummer!! I sure wish someone would.......

Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Winching

W00T, just ordered two sets of the 8mm wires.

Mike- I do have a couple questions for you as I go down the list:

1) What is the best ATF money can buy? Like, brand name and stuff. THANK YOU!

2) What brand of Brake Fluid is the best? (Again, I'm willing to pay $50 per pint if it means getting the best)

3) What brand of power steering fluid?

4) Which brand of DexCool would you recommend?

5) Anything special I need to know about the serpantine belts or the thermostats? I plan on getting both of these today.

Thank you so much for being here as a resource. You're saving tons of Disco-lives, brother!

Pat

Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

1, ATF, Royal Purple or Mobil 1 but a complete flush is required if you want to switch over to a synthetic. Vavoline makes and extended high mile Dex3 fluid which is what I use.
2, I use Vavoline's synthetic DOT3/4 fluid.
3, Royal Purple, or Vavolines synthetic.
4, When buying any of the Dexcool products I believe in buying the 50/50 mix that comes with distilled water for less build up.
5, I have no preference on belts, on the t/stat make sure it is a factory unit, about $18 at Atlantic British.Where is the bleed screw for your coolant system, if it is on the hose, not the plastic Tee, order a replacement set up from Atlantic British. The old style blew the plug out of the upper hose and has been upgraded to the new style use a tee with the bleed screw built in.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Winching

AWESOME advice!!!! I have my shopping cart at Atlanic British building.

Mike, I can't find Bosch Platinum Plus 4's at AB though- do you buy them locally, or do you use a website? And eh... not to be a thorn in your side.. but do you have the plug's part number?

THANK YOU!

Pat

Quick Reply: 60K Service and more for used vehicles