Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 days/100 miles later & I need a radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 7 days/100 miles later & I need a radiator

Just bought it and I'm already in need of a radiator!

Has anyone here tried and had any luck with the cheapo aluminum radiators that are all over fleabay? I bought one for my 78 Bronco and it works fine, but the Bronc & the Rover are light years apart.

I havn't even registered it yet...

Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Seen radiators new for like 235. Be glad you don't have a D1, or it would be about $600.

Now just so we are sure that you, the new owner of this posh pile of pre-owned polished sheet metal, have all the facts, what exact symptoms make you believe you need a radiator (and nothing else)? Not saying you don't, but there are more parts involved.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Call justin at Lucky 8. they have a really good deal on radiators for both DII's w/ and W/o secondary air.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Seen radiators new for like 235. Be glad you don't have a D1, or it would be about $600.

Now just so we are sure that you, the new owner of this posh pile of pre-owned polished sheet metal, have all the facts, what exact symptoms make you believe you need a radiator (and nothing else)? Not saying you don't, but there are more parts involved.
Once she's up to temp I have antifreeze coming out the front of the radiator. This one seems pretty cut & dry.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Usually we have head gaskets for a newbie's first challenge... when system over pressurizes from head gasket or cracked block, the upper hose will get rock hard, and the coolant cap is supposed to vent at 20 PSI. Must be a lot of coolant loss if the fan does not pull it all out the back of the radiator. You may want to plan on replacing the thermostat as well, but go oem or dealer on that, not aftermarket.

But wonder why no fluid loss out the front of the radiator before it warms up? You can borrow/rent a coolant tester from the parts store, and pump up the pressure to like 18-20 PSI, and see all the places it is leaking. Attached is flow chart for the plumbing, from that RAVE tech manual set in my signature. You could also have Dexcool sludge in the radiator from plain old failure and/or mixing wrong antifreeze with Dexcool.

Always check fan clutch and belt route, previous owners may have had different ideas.

Attached Thumbnails 7 days/100 miles later & I need a radiator-dex-cool-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.pdf (724.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Drifting

Good lord! If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe a radiator could look like that. That's like seeing one of those "this is what your lungs will look like" ads back when I was a smoker!
I'm by no means an expert, but I would have thought that the coolant wouldn't be flowing (and leaking) through the rad until it warms up and the t-stat opens?
And for what it's worth, the truck never came close to overheating. Even on a 70 degree afternoon. Thats also leads me to believe it's not something more serious...