Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7mm v 8mm wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8mm STI's I just installed came with holders. They also fit nicely into the holders at the back of the valve covers. The ones on the side of the valve covers were a different story, so I didn't bother to force it and left them out and used the holders that came with the wires. Everything looks nice and neat and tucked out of the way.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Personally I dont think 1mm makes one hell of any difference, I mean really? Do you know how small 1mm is?
That being said I have the 8mm wires because they were only $5 more so why not?
I'm an automotive engineer, and I live in a world where we fight for fractions of a millimeter. So, to put it simply 1mm is significant.

to spin some perspective on it, however;
7mm to 8mm is only about a ~14% increase.
but cross-sectional area is bumped by over 30%!
now, resistance is inversely proportional to area which makes it worth about a 20% drop in resistance by adding 1mm to the diameter!

Now, I'm a mechanical engineer not an electrical one and soon after this my electrical knowledge starts falling off. Let me ask this to the community: if P=I^2*R or, alternatively, P=V^2/R why is it that lower resistance wires are better? The math tells me they consume more power since the lower resistance yields greater current. I suspect the answer may have something to do with the "source" being a collapsing magnetic field.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Necro'd a thread from 2010.....

Old 04-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Is this a record? A reply on a 7 year old thread has to be up there.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank4
Is this a record? A reply on a 7 year old thread has to be up there.
An answer doesn't exist. The question is legitimate, and i'm confident challenging. The answer would be valuable information to many member. Does it matter than its 7-years old?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Wranglol
An answer doesn't exist. The question is legitimate, and i'm confident challenging. The answer would be valuable information to many member. Does it matter than its 7-years old?
IMHO the 7mm vs 8mm battle is pointless on our D2's. Unless you've upgraded the coil packs to a high performance unit (none exists as far as I know for a D2) then slapping on just a set of 8mm wires is not going to give you anymore HP or performance.

I've had older vehicles and yes when you change out the OEM ignition system for an MSD setup for example then yes you'll have HP/performance gains, but you'd also have to tinker with timing/fuel as well.

Slapping on an 8mm wire set for say 5.00 more vs the 7mm isn't going to hurt anything, but DO NOT expect to gain anything.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Best4x4
IMHO the 7mm vs 8mm battle is pointless on our D2's. Unless you've upgraded the coil packs to a high performance unit (none exists as far as I know for a D2) then slapping on just a set of 8mm wires is not going to give you anymore HP or performance.

I've had older vehicles and yes when you change out the OEM ignition system for an MSD setup for example then yes you'll have HP/performance gains, but you'd also have to tinker with timing/fuel as well.

Slapping on an 8mm wire set for say 5.00 more vs the 7mm isn't going to hurt anything, but DO NOT expect to gain anything.
Yeah, i don't expect power gains on the Disco. Maybe just some smoothness or fuel efficiency.

But the question was more general to be honest. Why is it that bigger wires are better? If the answer is "lower resistance" then it violates the laws defined by the equations above.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

The "why" in this circumstance is the same in other circumstances...

What I am getting at is unless someone has put their rover on a dyno with 7mm then 8mm and you can see a noticeable gain it is not worth it.

But before you flame!!! just because it is not worth it does not mean a gear head will not do it and does not mean I still wont do it.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:33 AM
4wd Low
Default Need a final answer

My check engine light for my D2 went on and started to flash. So I did some research and discovered it was the engine misfiring. I decided to change the spark plugs and wires, and still debating which one I should get the 7mm or 8mm.

Last edited by OgEric; 05-21-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts

Quick Reply: 7mm v 8mm wires