Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88,888 miles and joined the ticking club

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 88,888 miles and joined the ticking club

my 2003 disco just pased 88,888 and on entering the gas station started ticking when I pulled up to the gas station, so I would like to be welcomed into the hounoured ticking club any guess as to how long it will last.....

Old 10-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Did you check the oil?

Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There are lots of things that cause ticking. It is helpful to "hear" where the tick is louder, with a mechanic's stethoscope or a broom handle held against the valve cover or other areas, with your ear pressed to the far end. There have been write ups on the tick related to SAI, cracked oil pump, lifter and valve train noise, and the dreaded slipped liners.

Oil pump tests involve removing oil pressure switch, attach a mecjhanical guage (rent from auto parts store), and record readings at col (idle and 2500 rpm) and war (idle and 2500 rpm).

If you DIY, this can be done at home. If you prefer a mechanic, a good indy shop can do this. Dealer would be last choice due to very high prices. However, some prefer to maintain by open checkbook.

As far as it going away by itself, no that will require some assiatnce from your wallet.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

She will tick this side of forever.
Run the battery of tests to make sure nothing catastrophic is going to happen, then decide what you want to do about it if anything.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are planing to keep the truck......
You might want to do what I am doing right now (in the garage working on the truck) and change all the gaskets, oil pump (mine was cracked too), water pump, timing chain and sprockets, pulleys, serpentine belt, etc.... So far I am under $1000 (ordered all the parts from Atlantic British) and hopefully will have a reliable truck again once everything is together. My mileage is 84,000 miles.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but don't risk it!

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by boris_gti
If you are planing to keep the truck......
You might want to do what I am doing right now (in the garage working on the truck) and change all the gaskets, oil pump (mine was cracked too), water pump, timing chain and sprockets, pulleys, serpentine belt, etc.... So far I am under $1000 (ordered all the parts from Atlantic British) and hopefully will have a reliable truck again once everything is together. My mileage is 84,000 miles.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but don't risk it!

Cheers!
I think it is absolute BS that a person needs to do all of that to a 84,000 mile engine, its not your fault, its Rovers and I personally would be mad as hell.
150,000 miles ok, but not 85,000.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Mudding

You are right Spike. I (and the rest of us) should be mad. But however......warranty is expired. We are all SOL. Land Rover will do nothing about it. As soon as I found out about "oil pump" issues a few years back, I called Windsor, Ontario dealer and they told me that my VIN is out of the range and that there is nothing to be worried about. Well.....they gonna get my old oil pump through their window soon .

To be honest....I was happy that I found mine to be cracked. Simply by doing preventative maintenance,I got lucky and found it before it did any serious damage.

Don't get me wrong.....I am fuming that I have to deal with this, but like I said....I caught it in time.
$1000 and a week of work could have cost me 4 times as much if I haven't caught it in time. Plus now......a lot of other things are changed and I have a reliable truck once again (hoping it starts once I am done putting it all together )

I took my losses and moved on.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by boris_gti

I took my losses and moved on.
That is a great attitude, I love it.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
That is a great attitude, I love it.
Hahahahaha figured I set myself for something like this.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME TO THE CLUB. I am in that club, again... I have a D I 1995... She ticks but thats how she will stay. I did a oil pump, timing chain +sprockets, lifters, rockershafts, pushrods and she didn't tick....... wellllllllllllllllllllllll 200 miles later tick tick tick tick.... Oil psi is 43 at 2500 rpm and 20 at idle.. She has oil so she will tick until she dies. THEN I will rebuild the engine, again. I should of done a crankshaft but I didn't know that I should of.. I think thats what the issue is, there is a nitch in the crank so it slips and causes the ticking. Mine also sounds like it is right below the oil pan, but when you take a stethoscope to it you can tell its coming from the second lifter on the drivers side. I figure the damage thats done has been done and driving her with the tick isn't going to help but will it hurt? Maybe but if the cam is bad the cam is bad... Just my view. I figure its easier for the motor to crash and burn then to sit for hours and hours and put parts into it just to realize that what you did wasn't the issue. AGREE?

Quick Reply: 88,888 miles and joined the ticking club