Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 disco 3.9L stalling problem please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 04:44 PM
Mudding

Nah, no trouble codes. I just get a burp of raw gas from it occasionally when it's started in the morning. Otherwise it purrs like a kitten.
Thanks for your input Spike

Old 06-02-2010 | 05:49 PM
|
Drifting

I think it's the ignition module. I am going to replace it this weekend when I do the filter. Hopefully this will clear 2 of the big issues up. I think the rapping noise may be the timing chain possibly?

Old 06-02-2010 | 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by ruggles
well 227,000 kms equals 141,051 miles so I don't think that's too many miles personally considering I bought it off the land rover mechanical shop that says it has been servicing the vehicle for years do you? I just drained the tranny and it's grey/black with a hint of red..... Obviously not serviced very well.... Also the tranny drain bolt had a ****load of shavings on it.... I have drained and refilled with atf and lucas treatment... We'll see what happens. Btw I am not a trained mechanic but I have worked on a lot of vehicles so I am not retarded on the subject. I specifically asked them if it was a good daily driver as they had advertised and they said yes. It has body damage which I have experience in fixing hence why I bought it. I wanted a cosmetic project not both... Make any sense?

Now I am going to address the hard starting issue next. There is a fuel smell when it doesn't start so I doubt it's a fuel delivery problem but who knows.

Oh and I know it's not a honda, I have owned mulitple bmws so I now all about luxury vehicles and their issues.

Sounds like they talk out both sides of their mouth.... If they have been servicing it for the lasst few years, ask to see all the service records to verify what they actually performed. Did they forget to do the transmission??????? It should have been serviced at least a few times with 144K miles.. It calls for fluid and filter at what 60K, fluid changes less than that....

The mechanical servicing is much more important than the cosmetics in my opinion. Cosmetics won't strand you.... overlooked mechanical maintenance will. Just being realistic , not critical of you or your skills.

I hope you are able to get it going without much trouble. Were you asking about checking the fuel pump earlier? One quick way to check to see if fuel pump is functional is to open your gas cap. Does it make a hissing sound when you first unscrew the cap? It should make a pretty loud hiss if the fuel pump is working properly. I had a cracked cap on my fuel pump, it worked but not at the correct pressure but still ran.

I installed a new fuel pump, it gives a significant hiss when I remove the gas cap now. Noticably different.

Old 06-02-2010 | 07:41 PM
TReK

vehicles with distributor have known issues with the rotor and the fuel relays not working. They are metal behind the passenger seat.

The rotor should be a lucas with a yellow dot. They are known to cause all sorts of issues running and not starting.