Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Discovery (green) - Misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Discovery (green) - Misfiring

I haven't had time to fully diagnose this, but I have a 95 Disco. 145k. Had a tuneup in the last 7-8k (Plat Plugs, Magnecors, O2 Sensors, etc.. from Mikes 60K Service List).

A year ago, I was having problems with very rough running, wouldn't even stay running most of the time. Finally tracked it down to to a bad Fuel Pump. Replaced the Fuel Pump and all was well. (also replaced fuel relay and fuel temp sensor)

Now about a year later, it is misfiring. The problem started about two months ago, when it was cold, it would run rough. Now it runs rough (misfiring) all of the time. I have got it to throw a 44 code once (which iirc is a O2 sensor code... so that doesn't help much).

It will idle just fine, but put any amount of load on it and it will backfire/misfire badly. (you can feel it backfiring through the airbox).

The fuel pressure is right at 40 PSI

The timing is spot on.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What the heck Matt, you only show up when you have a problem? I don't really have anything to contribute to the problem, just thought I'd give you crap for not checking in with the forum more often.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh.. I am here.. I just don't ever have anything constructive to add to the discussions

Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a common problem with the green ones. You'll need to paint it a different color for the problem to go away. (Sorry, couldn't resist. ) Have you checked the vacuum hose on your vacuum advance at both the distributor and the manifold? The routing on that thing is just terrible and can easily get sliced by the serpentine belt if it's too long or disjars. Sorry, no other ideas right off the top...

Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by mattrickman
Oh.. I am here.. I just don't ever have anything constructive to add to the discussions
When did that become a requirement? I must have missed that bit of fine print.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 AM
TReK

Ok, I think I might have come up with something constructive to add. Have you pulled your plugs and checked the condition? The plug condition may help point to where the problem is.

Suede - it's funny you mention the color thing. You're the third person in the last 2 days I've heard mention green Rovers having more problems than other colors. Knock on wood, mine seems to be the exception to the rule.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mattrickman
I haven't had time to fully diagnose this, but I have a 95 Disco. 145k. Had a tuneup in the last 7-8k (Plat Plugs, Magnecors, O2 Sensors, etc.. from Mikes 60K Service List).
A lot of people report poor running when using platinum plugs in a D1.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Just a long shot, have you been having to add coolant over the last few months? Just wondering if you have a slight coolant leak causing this.
Might want to consider doing a compression test to run out a burned valve.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like a bad vacuum advance to me.
The engine timing is spot on when at idle but cannot advance for the increased rpm.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Suede - it's funny you mention the color thing. You're the third person in the last 2 days I've heard mention green Rovers having more problems than other colors. Knock on wood, mine seems to be the exception to the rule.
Green cars are bad luck ask any collision shop. It has something to do with them being the color of money. I had a green Saturn, my first car out of college. It got hit by a bus while parked. Not once not twice but 3 times all in the same spot, front left quarter panel. One time in Washington DC the other 2 times in Queens. Luckily Saturns are plastic and cheap to fix so Geico did not really seem to mind. The insurance adjuster and collision guy both said green cars were bad luck. Funny I traded that Saturn in towards my Disco, not sure if my car luck has increased though.

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-17-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 Discovery (green) - Misfiring