Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Disco maintenance....need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Disco maintenance....need help

This is my first post here. My father has a 96 Disco with 180k on it that needs some work.

Cylinder #7 is not firing, I am assuming its a bad plug wire. Going to change the wires and possibly the plugs also depending on how they look.

What type of plugs should I get?

Need to drain the tranny fluid. Gonna drain it and refill with Dextron IID i think is the recommended fluid?

Also need to do diffs, is Mobil1 75-90 fine for this vehilcle? Same goes for the transfer case?

Also, the tach doesnt always work, it also bounces when it does. I assume its some sort of electrical short. Anyone have any ideas?

Last but not least. Cruise control doesnt work. I assume its vacuum driven? I tried to fix this in the past but I didnt have any luck. Ive looked through alldata and cant come up with anything.

Also gonna do the fuel filter. I am a little hesitant to do it because I dont feel like stripping the fittings.

Anything else I should look for and change? It does need to go in for a cracked gas tank, but other than that I think Im on the right track.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 96 Disco maintenance....need help

ORIGINAL: Jokeman

This is my first post here. My father has a 96 Disco with 180k on it that needs some work.

Cylinder #7 is not firing, I am assuming its a bad plug wire. Going to change the wires and possibly the plugs also depending on how they look.

What type of plugs should I get?

Need to drain the tranny fluid. Gonna drain it and refill with Dextron IID i think is the recommended fluid?

Also need to do diffs, is Mobil1 75-90 fine for this vehilcle? Same goes for the transfer case?

Also, the tach doesnt always work, it also bounces when it does. I assume its some sort of electrical short. Anyone have any ideas?

Last but not least. Cruise control doesnt work. I assume its vacuum driven? I tried to fix this in the past but I didnt have any luck. Ive looked through alldata and cant come up with anything.

Also gonna do the fuel filter. I am a little hesitant to do it because I dont feel like stripping the fittings.

Anything else I should look for and change? It does need to go in for a cracked gas tank, but other than that I think Im on the right track.
Plugs and wires would be good, you might want to order some Magnacor 8mm wires for it for the best results. Your auto parts store can help you with the plugs, Champions are what the factory put in it, I use the Bosch Platium plus 4's
As much as you might want to change the tranny filter, it is pretty hard because of the cross member and Y pipe, so a drain and fill is going to have to do.
I wouldn't spend the extra money for Mobil 1 with the mileage this truck has stay with a good quality 80/90W gear oil.
If your tach is bouncing around, it could be the alternator which drives it, might want to clean all the connections and grounds and see if that helps, otherwise an alternator replacement will be coming up in the future.
If you have power to the cruise control, I would check all the vaccum lines, one leak will shut it down and this is common on Rovers.
Spray the fittings on the fuel filter a couple of times with penetrating oil, that usually will do the job.
As for other things to do for a big service, check this esction on Disco fluids I listed out a list of items needing to be done.

Mike

Old 01-22-2007, 01:31 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, much appreciate the advice. As far as the tach goes, I replaced the alternator recently with a new one, not a reman. Which wire on the alternator does the tach run off? If is the smaller wire? This problem started after I put a reman in. That one died 3 months later so I dropped the coin on a new one.

The tranny filter was definitly not going to be changed since you have to drop the Ypipe and the crossmember and I dont have the urge to put that kind of time into this car.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I can't help you on the wires question.
As for the tranny, throw a bottle of Lucas tranny additive in to keep her happy.
Mike