Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST

Thought some of you may like to see my 97 DI after major interior tearout. Pix show rust and other findings after wet carpets were literally yanked out with bare hands and FATMAX razor cutter.

Both floorboards have what appears to be a factory patch, the black rectangles with silver tape over part of them. Does anyone else with carpets removed have the same?

Also the rust around the front passenger seat and door area, the other pic is driver's side roof with headliner removed. It rusted around the wire weld area, there was a wire tail right in the middle of the mess. Never seen anything like it.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST-disco-april-2-2010-059.jpg   97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST-disco-april-2-2010-061.jpg   97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST-disco-april-2-2010-062.jpg   97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST-dsc01743.jpg   97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST-dsc01753.jpg  

Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Thought some of you may like to see my 97 DI after major interior tearout. Pix show rust and other findings after wet carpets were literally yanked out with bare hands and FATMAX razor cutter.

Both floorboards have what appears to be a factory patch, the black rectangles with silver tape over part of them. Does anyone else with carpets removed have the same?

Also the rust around the front passenger seat and door area, the other pic is driver's side roof with headliner removed. It rusted around the wire weld area, there was a wire tail right in the middle of the mess. Never seen anything like it.

I removed mine. Can I see the picture of yours after you removed yours?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Land rover world recently had an article on the issue and how to fix alot of it. Plus there is a long ago bulletin about water leaking from the a pillars on a discovery.

I have seen it and used it on my own vehicle for the issue. I still have a problem with the a pillar lower section leaking thru the sealant on the outside. You can tell with a hose and lots of water.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

in the first pic.........see the round black plastic plug ? mine doesn't have that plug there, matter of fact, mine doesn't have any metal there either !

Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by tiresmokindad
I removed mine. Can I see the picture of yours after you removed yours?
I am unsure of what you mean. I removed the carpets and both sides have this black rectangular panel that appears to be a factory "patch". Do all the DI's have that?

How did you remove them? Did you grind them out?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, have you driven the truck with the carpet and headliner out yet? At highway speeds? The reason I ask is because I want to rip both of mine out (paint the headliner like others on here) and eventually rhinoline the inside but in the meantime I don't want to be completely deafened. I am not a sissy when it comes to the noise but don't want to make it like jetliner decibel level either. Anyway, just curious. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Baja

Yes I have been driving it without the headliner and carpets for over a month now. It's not that bad actually. I did re-install the sun visors and the little panel that has the sunroof switches between the visors. In the back seat, I duct taped the small wire bundle for the rear sunroof neatly just in front of the roof rib and you operate that sunroof with it's switch as well.

I removed the wiring for the rear seat air as well. I need to fix some corrsion holes by the alpine windows before I do anything as far as headliner.

The roof does get hot to the touch on sunny days. I was thinking about using some of that reflective coated bubble wrap to insulate the inside. The duct tape holds real good on the roof surface.

What I cannot understand is the big rusty spot by the drivers roof corner, but the same area of the passengers side is pristine. Why would one side rust so bad and nothing on the other side?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure on the rust. I only have one small spot of rust on my whole vehicle (knock on wood) about 4 inches long by 1 inch wide near the passenger side rear wheel well. I hope I don't find the same thing when I pull my headliner out. I haven't had any leaks since I bought it though. Thanks for the info. I believe I will be pulling my carpet very soon. Maybe early next week. Tired of the horrible carpet that is in there. (Once belonged to a smoker as there is cig ash everywhere.) Anyway thanks again. Good luck with the rust. Hopefully you can clean it up, seal the leak, and seal the clean metal. Oh btw I like the idea of the reflective barrier. I believe I will do the same. Take care.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

What I cannot understand is the big rusty spot by the drivers roof corner, but the same area of the passengers side is pristine. Why would one side rust so bad and nothing on the other side?
This happens in the winter .Warm air from the defroster is meeting cold air inside the roof liner.Warm air is probably traveling along A pillar where the wire harness is ,just insulate air movement with fiberglass or piece of foam.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

You will feel better when you see my rust.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...may2010023.jpg
And after rust removal I damaged my brake lines , so my next job is replacing rusted brake lines.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...may2010028.jpg
Some more surprises.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...may2010026.jpg
This floor looks good.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...may2010024.jpg

Quick Reply: 97 Disco I - Pix after Carpet Removal _RUST