Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Disco ODBII Codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:33 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Disco ODBII Codes

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have a 97 Disco that has reported the following ODBII codes P3999, and P1178. I am over three hours from the nearest Rover dealership, and would like to know if there is some way I could ascertain what they mean. The car also reported P0441 (Generic ODBII EVAP Emiission Control Purge Flow Fault). I called my older dealership and they said check the gas cap to see if it was tight, but other than that there was nothing they could do for me. The vehicle has been driving fine, and I have not noticed any malfunctions. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Buck

Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 97 Disco ODBII Codes

Buck,
Here is a link to your question on codes, keep it somewhere cause this is a good list of both OBD1 and 2 codes.
http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread....ht=fault+codes
Mike

Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM
7th Gear

Mike,
Thanks, however the link for the ODB II codes did not work on the other page, do you have a new link, or another site? Thanks
Buck

Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Administrator

I just clicked on the link and it works fine.
Mike

Old 07-18-2006, 03:30 AM
Three Wheeling

Try this link:
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...l_obd_main.htm

P1178 O2 Sensor Signal Circuit Slow Switching From Rich to Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1) (BMW)
P1178 ETS Motor Battery Voltage Open (Hyundai)
P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

P3999 does not show up. My Disco I has a P1179 (O2 Sensor Signal Circuit Slow Switching From Rich to Lean; Bank 1, Sensor 2). I have no idea what this means or what is wrong... I cleared the code, so we'll see what happens. Maybe the O2 sensor is going out. Anyone know what this means?

I have a Disco. I service manual, but the codes aren't in there. However, it does have some detail on the Evaps system if you are interested. E-mail me if you want more info. on the service manual. thoberock@yahoo.com

Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi Buck,

I did some web searching on my P1179 code (which seems to be similar to your P1178 code). It appears that this may be due to a too rich burn. Several guys have tried cleaning their Mass Air Flow sensor and cleaning the contacts and sensor with good luck. Some have used brake cleaner and electrical spray cleaner. Worth a shot.

Tim

Old 07-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Administrator

If it were the MAF, you would also have a 4th. gear shifting code.
I wouldn't be to quick to jump into cleaning the Maf, if you mess up, you will be looking at a $600 expense.
Mike

Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Mike, could you elaborate on your reply to this? I just got back from garage and I am getting a P1176 & P1178 error codes. The gear shift error you are referred to, could that be tied to my problem of the Disco suddenly downshifting into a lower gear at around 40 mph and staying into lower gear for about a minute then shifting back up? Please let me know. Thanks for your help. If it doesn't have anything to do with tranny, what in laymens terms are these codes and do I resolve them?
Bob
97 Disco I, 170k miles 4.0 L

Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator

I hate having to chase these particular fault codes,

P1176 Maximum Positive FMFR Correction Fault
P1177 Maximum Negative FMFR Correction Fault
P1178 Maximum Positive AMFR Correction Fault

I best I can describe them, they are about air/fuel signals/ratios, none of which you are going to want to deal with.
As for the tranny, how long has it been since the tranny has been serviced? Have you checked the shift cables to make sure they are not causing this problem? If it were a D2 which has electronicaly controlled shifting, it would be easier to find.
I would suggest you head to your mechanic for the codes.
Let me know what you hear.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Drifting
Default RE: 97 Disco ODBII Codes (goodbye all)

Thanks for the advice Mike, unfortunatley, along with those code problems now the alternator has decided it no longer wants to play nice. My battery light's coming on on the dash and my wipers go faster as I step on the gas along with clock lights brighter. Smoke is coming in from under the dash near the heater (smells like oil), The tranny still thinks it's in the indy 500 and none of the interior lights work. I put a volt meter on alt and it reads 16 v but after just a few minutes the alt isso hot that you can't touch it. My guess is the bearings are shot. That was the last straw for the ole girl. I got this Disco in Dec and it has been nothing but a money pit since. I cannot even get an inspection sticker because of all the failing emmision codes. I love this forum and got lots of invaluable advice from everyone, exspecially you, Discoguy and Spike, thank you all. The next Rover I buy will be a "newer" one with alot less problems Take care
Bob

Quick Reply: 97 Disco ODBII Codes