Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 discovery starts to shake at 65 mph!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 discovery starts to shake at 65 mph!

Any clue from the members why my discovery starts to violently shake at 65 mph? Sometimes, I feel like I will lose control of the vehicle so I have to either accelerate or deccelerate to get out of the 65 mile radius! And soon after I either slow or pass the 65 mph mark, everything goes smooth again! When it gets back to 65 mph, it shakes again! I had the tires balanced and didn't do any progress at all! I had brake pads replace as well! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bent rim, bad tire, swivel ***** need to be pre-loaded, bad tie rods, ball joints...could be almost anything and any of those things could kill you.
Get it looked at by a suspension shop Mon.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like death wobble to me. Look it up on yourtube, it's pretty self explanatory.

Sounds like your steering hardware is worn.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a friend that happened to. It was at 65 mph it would shake too! Her front drivers tire was bad, and it didn't have any bulges or leaks whatsoever. It exploded on I-94 one night while she was doing 80. The chunks of tire tore the heck outta the car. We put a new tire on and it drives like a new car.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

In what way does it shake? Is the steering wheel shaking back and forth in your hands, i.i. short quick right and left, ir just a bad vibration. If the steering wheel is shaking back and forth R to L, then it sounds like light swivel pin preload (death wobble), though that also usually will happen and lower speeds when you hit a bump.
If it's just a bad vibration, check your hub bearings (jack up a wheel and grip at 12 & 6 and see if you can wiggle it) and if they are ok, check your tire balance.
Other things to check are the rest of your suspension and steering components for play.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I have to agree with everyone else, first you need to decide does this shake make you feel uncomfortable (like not safe)? cause if so it probably isn't safe and should be fixed ASAP, if it is just a vibration that increases at that speed then it may just be a balance issue (which will wear tires and steering/suspension components faster). Now finding the problem is the tricky part, all components of the steering/suspension system work together and if any of them start to fail it will cause problems like what you explained. I had an old Cherokee that developed a bad death wobble but with that I had to slow the vehicle way down (almost pulling over) to get it to stop. Most people explained to me that it was caused by a bad steering damper, so I replaced it and no more problems. I am slightly noticing similar problems now (excessive shaking in the wheel going over bumps and on turns at highway speeds) so that will be the first part I replace.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys! I will definitely follow every each one of them until I get this thing straightened out! Will give you guys update!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Baja

Do not replace the steering damper trying to fix it. It is only masking the problem if it "fixes" it. Steering dampers are there to prevent sudden twisting of the steering wheel if you hit something with just one wheel. They are not designed to correct steering (or suspension) component defects.
I D1 should be able to track and steer fine on smooth roads without a steering damper at all.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Do not replace the steering damper trying to fix it. It is only masking the problem if it "fixes" it. Steering dampers are there to prevent sudden twisting of the steering wheel if you hit something with just one wheel. They are not designed to correct steering (or suspension) component defects.
I D1 should be able to track and steer fine on smooth roads without a steering damper at all.
I was pointing out that in my situation this was the case, hitting large man hole covers or bumps with just one wheel would cause the wheel to shake or when I am on a highway interchange the wheel will shake a bit (usually there are bumps and expansion joints on the interchanges here) so it seems to be the solution to my problem, driving straight with no bumps is fine for me. I'm not saying his is the same but if he does have a bad stabilizer the problem will usually show itself worse.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 02-02-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
I'm not saying his is the same but if he does have a bad stabilizer the problem will usually show itself worse.
Yes, that's true, because a good stabilizer will mask most if not all of the defect.
I wasn't having a go at you, just wanted to make sure he didn't just throw a stabilizer on it and call it fixed. I frequently see people (who don't understand the purpose of a stabilizer) suggesting that as the first thing to replace.

Quick Reply: 97 discovery starts to shake at 65 mph!