Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 disco 4.0 rough idle will not run

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 disco 4.0 rough idle will not run

I have a 1998 disco 1 lse. I parked it a couple of days ago, ran great. I went to start it yesterday, it stuttered and cut off. It would not start and when it did, it struggles just to run. give it gas and it dies. I replaced the fuel filter, no help. I hear the fuel pump. The check engine light came on after about 10 minutes of running. I got the codes p0300 and p1316. Thank you mr. codes, I can tell its misfiring. not sure what to do next, i want to make it count before I start replacing maf, tps, coil pack, crank shaft sensors and o2 sensors. I have owned a land rover three weeks and I feel like I know way too much already. I disconnected the air pipe between the intake and maf, just to see what would happen with more air, it died immediately. it has fresh synthetic oil. I did see electrical leaks around every single spark plug when it was running fine. I was planning to replace plugs and wires next. what is the best next step? any help will be appreiated! Also, the mass air flow sensor sounds really loud, like a very strong vaccum, so strong, it is sucking air between the connection of the sensor and the filter box, when it is idling rough

Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 disco 4.0 rough idle will not run

Seafoam ,, deep creep throttle body,,and new plugs and wires ...do the infamous MIkes 60K ......YourOK Dont panic .........Yet

Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW Mikes 60 k should be a sticky

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling

not sure what deep creep throttle body means. I am very new to rovers. What is Mikes 60k?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Winching

It is the list of the maintenance required when your Roverturns 60k, or if you buy a used Rover. Always assume it has never been done by the previous owner.

Search for 60k maintenace list on the forum.Some points will differ from it since you have a D1. Don't mind about asking questions

Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling

I have done everything on that list except plugs and wires and any chemical treatments besides fuel additive. Could they cause such a violent reaction? Does anyone have an opinion whether this is a sensor issue or not? How would i be able to discern a sensor from a sticking valve or fuel/ air issues. How could it go from running perfect to barely idling overnight? AAAAAHHHHHH My mind is melting, so many possible causes.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so you changed your fuel filter?

Have you cleaned the t-body yet?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling

I did change th fuel filter, I have no idea what steps to take on the throttle body. I am mechanically inclined, give me instructions and I will do it. Today I started it, it seemed to idle well for about 20 seconds then went into stuttering running awefull. the check engine light flashed repeatedly then went solid. I am limited on money right now, I need my next step to count the most! Suggestions?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling

OK, i took off the rubber pipe between the maf and intake and looked in there, it has this sticky brown resin like substance in there. do I have to remove the whole intake to clean? it is definitely sticky in there.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is how you are going to clean your throttle body, buy a can of carb cleaner.
Drive the front drivers wheel onto a 2x4, a curb, anything that will get that side of the truck higher than the rest of the truck.
Remove the air intake tube.
Take your carb cleaner and spray everything that you can see.
Open the buttery fly valve and spray all around inside there too.
Spray everything, it should be shiny and clean.
Put it all back together, start the truck and drive it around the block.
It will run rough because it will be flooded, so it will be hard to start too.

Plug wires are never supposed to arc, you need a tune up and then you will be good to go.
I just posted how to do it a couple of days ago, let me find it and I will edit this post and attach the link.

https://landroverforums.com/m_100278/tm.htm

Quick Reply: 98 disco 4.0 rough idle will not run