Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 disco 4.0 rough idle will not run

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 98 disco 4.0 rough idle will not run

Yes the stepper motor is plug and play.
If you messed with the TPS or the idle speed screw then it needs to be recalibrated.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed!

OK. here is the deal. Here is what fixed my situation. I was told the stepper motor was bad. So i got the jeep cherokee one. it did not work. i then bought one off ebay NEW aftermarket fro my vehicle and gave it to them and it did not work. i was told the ecu was bad. i had it removed and sent to a Direct Auto for a rebuild. they said the idle circuit was fried and they would have to have a whole other board so they sent it back. i purchased a used computer from a junk yard and took it to land rover. i told them to install the new computer. they did and the idle did not lower. they said the stepper motor is not a LAND ROVER stepper motor and the computer can not read the position of the motor even though it can move it. i bought the land rover stepper motor and the idle is now fixed. wasnt that easy? the lesson for me is for electrical issues, land rover charges only $99 to give you an accurate diagnosis. Land rover uses there ever so special t4 computer which no one else has. now on to other issues like tie rod ends. thanks for everyones help.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys are going to spend so much time and money working on these things why not buy a good scan tool. I have Autoenginuity's PC based scan tool and for the money it is pretty potent. I hope to get the Land Rover enhansed software soon

Old 03-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by andy
If you guys are going to spend so much time and money working on these things why not buy a good scan tool. I have Autoenginuity's PC based scan tool and for the money it is pretty potent. I hope to get the Land Rover enhansed software soon
What? SPend money on my truck? I only spend $300 per year in repairs. Hard to justify a multi million dollar PC for that.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
What? SPend money on my truck? I only spend $300 per year in repairs. Hard to justify a multi million dollar PC for that.
You already admited to needing a new PC, and then all you need is about 500 bucks worth of autoenginuity software. I spent a bit more than that but I have all the enhansed software for everything domestic and asian.
On a sad note I found out there land rover enhansed coverage doesen't start until the 2003 models

Old 03-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by andy
You already admited to needing a new PC, and then all you need is about 500 bucks worth of autoenginuity software. I spent a bit more than that but I have all the enhansed software for everything domestic and asian.
On a sad note I found out there land rover enhansed coverage doesen't start until the 2003 models
Your right Andy, I do need a new PC, you find the software and lets see how much it costs and maybe we can copy it and make some money!
They we can support our bad habit buy buying more Rover bits. lol

Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Drifting
Default Cherokee Stepper

Originally Posted by oljohnboy
OK. here is the deal. Here is what fixed my situation. I was told the stepper motor was bad. So i got the jeep cherokee one. it did not work. i then bought one off ebay NEW aftermarket fro my vehicle and gave it to them and it did not work. i was told the ecu was bad. i had it removed and sent to a Direct Auto for a rebuild. they said the idle circuit was fried and they would have to have a whole other board so they sent it back. i purchased a used computer from a junk yard and took it to land rover. i told them to install the new computer. they did and the idle did not lower. they said the stepper motor is not a LAND ROVER stepper motor and the computer can not read the position of the motor even though it can move it. i bought the land rover stepper motor and the idle is now fixed. wasnt that easy? the lesson for me is for electrical issues, land rover charges only $99 to give you an accurate diagnosis. Land rover uses there ever so special t4 computer which no one else has. now on to other issues like tie rod ends. thanks for everyones help.

ok so is it confirmed that the cherokee stepper will not work with the discovery? I bought one the other day to replace my old stepper motor that was bad.... and it does work but i still have a high idle.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently, the cherokee stepper motor will move in and out, but the ecu can not read the position and control the idle.