Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Disco - no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Disco - no fuel pressure

Been reading posts on this site for a few years now and have always been able to find out what was wrong with my 98 Disco. So thank you all for being so diligent in helping out.

Have had our Disco for almost 3 years. Has just under 100k on the clock and have only had a few minor issues.

Last night I pulled it out of the garage to start getting ready to go camping this weekend. About an hour later, went to restart and hook up our trailer, it would only turn over but would not fire.

I did not hear the fuel pump priming so I ASSumed that it was the problem. Found the Master brand pump info on the site here and replaced last night. Still no noise coming from the fuel pump as normal and not firing.

Looked some more on here, and found the Shradder valve on the fuel rail. There is NO pressure on it. Fuel filter DOES need replaced but that would not keep the fuel pump from spinning would it?

After spending most of my morning reading on here, I am leaning towards the crank position sensor. I am going to check the spark and power at the fuel pump this evening and make sure that is all good.

Am I on the right track with the CKP Sensor? Thanks for any help you can pass along.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I would suspect the CPS as well. Check to see if you have spark when it cranks. If you don't I would say a CPS. I think your on the right track!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Drifting

From what I have read, the CPS controls spark and the CKP controls the fuel pump. Is that correct? So if I have spark and no fuel, it is likely the CKP, it no spark, then both?

Last edited by backroadsmitty; 09-11-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

By CPS I meant the CKP, crankshaft sensor. I should have said CKP, that's how LR refers to them. I'm beginning to think this is a fuel pump relay problem though. I'm going through my workshop manual to see if there's a way to test it.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

From what I understand CKPs rarely fail in DIs. I think this is a failed fuel pump relay. Not sure how to test them though.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Anyone know of a way to test this relay? I can get the CKP tomorrow at Autozone but not sure on the relay?

Would there be no power at the fuel pump if the relay were bad? Says in my repair manual that a failed relay would cause no fuel pressure.

Just says that a failed CKP will result in the emgine failing to start. Not that there would be no fuel pressure.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The crank sensor controls both the spark and the fuel.
If you pump fuse is good, then go buy a crank sensor and you'll be set.
Let us know how your trip goes.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The crank sensor controls both the spark and the fuel.
If you pump fuse is good, then go buy a crank sensor and you'll be set.
Let us know how your trip goes.
Fuel Pump fuse is good. I checked that first thing. Just wish I could get the sensor in today. Won't be in till tomorrow.

Some good things about a small town, others not so good. I will report back when I get the crank sensor installed.

I guess if that aint it I will move to the relay. I dont like just putting parts in but guess I will get another 100k miles out of them........

Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is your fuel pump relay, not the crank sensor.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
It is your fuel pump relay, not the crank sensor.
Anyway to test?

Also, on the AB website, they have a Relay - Fuel Pump and a Relay - Fuel Pump -Multifunction. Which one would it be if it is the Relay?

Could you explain why you think it is the relay? Got two knowledgeable folks on this forum with different answers, just wanting to know more in case I have to pass along in the future. Thanks!!

Last edited by backroadsmitty; 09-11-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 Disco - no fuel pressure