Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Disco - no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The crank sensor controls both the spark and the fuel.
If you pump fuse is good, then go buy a crank sensor and you'll be set.
Let us know how your trip goes.
Mike,

Why would you say it is the crank sensor? Got to be fair and ask both y'all. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I say it is the fuel pump relay because on DI's they are known to fail and it is recommended that you replace it whenever you replace the fuel pump.
I do not know how to test it, I can turn a light on and off and thats about as far as my electrical knowledge goes.
I would assume that it is the fuel pump relay not the fuel pump multi function relay.

The crank sensor on a DI almost never fails and on top of that the GEMS has a default mode so that if it does fail the engine will still run, it will run like crap but it is supposed to still run.

Also try resetting your inertia switch on the fire wall, press the button for 5 seconds then try and start the truck.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See I think it's the fuel relay too. The crank sensor shouldn't have anything to do with the fuel pump turning on when you turn your ignition to the II position. If I wasn't so lazy I would go out to my disco disconnect my CKS and I bet in the II position I would still here my fuel pump cycle. I'm gonna go with Spike on this one, fuel relay.

Plus there's a cold front moving in!!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
The crank sensor on a DI almost never fails and on top of that the GEMS has a default mode so that if it does fail the engine will still run, it will run like crap but it is supposed to still run.
I have some Heritage Motor Centre parts manuals/workshop manuals on cd and according to the info I have, there is no default strategy for the CKP Sensor and failure of the CKP will result in the engine failing to start.

However, if the Fuel Pump Relay fails, this will result in no fuel pressure.

So, that is why I am trying figure out which one is the problem......

Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 98roverguy
See I think it's the fuel relay too. The crank sensor shouldn't have anything to do with the fuel pump turning on when you turn your ignition to the II position. If I wasn't so lazy I would go out to my disco disconnect my CKS and I bet in the II position I would still here my fuel pump cycle. I'm gonna go with Spike on this one, fuel relay.

Which fuel relay would it be?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by backroadsmitty
Which fuel relay would it be?
Fuel pump relay.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 98roverguy

Just so you know, if the ECU doesn't get a signal from the Crank Sensor, it will not allow the pump to fire.
So, now, go outspend the couple hours to unhook and then reattach your sensor, if that is what it takes for you to believe me.

As for the relay, it has to run for a bit to get hot enough to trip, if it doesn't reset then yes it is bad, but this won't happen on a cold start.

Go replace the sensor and be done with it.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Called Autozone and part should be in. Headed to town to pick up, will let you all know in a hour or 2 if we are running again.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Drifting
Thumbs down

Nevermind, the people at Autozone are stupid and the part did not come in. Their explanation: 'Not sure what happened, they must not have shipped it.'

Does not fricking help me get me car fixed when you tell me the part will be here today and it dont show up! Sorry for the rant, just not very happy with my local car parts store at the moment!!

Old 09-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

For all you people who say it is the relay, what does a relay do and be specific?
Yes, D1's are know to eat up relays, but when??? When they get hot, which is not what yours is doing.

Quick Reply: 98 Disco - no fuel pressure