Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Disco 2 intermittent start problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Disco 2 intermittent start problems

Morning Everyone,

My 99 Disco 2 has been having starting problems. The engine turns over, wants to start but just not doing it.

One minute it runs perfect, the next it won't start. It has turned off on me in the middle of driving a couple times.

I have replaced the crank position sensor last week and still no luck.

I even tried the inertia switch.

Last Friday, I took it to the shop for them to test the fuel pressure and find what could be the problem. I eventually picked it up from the shop when they said everything was good, spark, fuel pressure, etc.

The battery and alternator checked out good.

The next day when I went to start it, it had the same problem, turns over but won't start.

I'm stuck since I don't know enough about the Disco 2, still learning. And the shop can't find the problem.

Hope someone can help me troubleshoot.

Kane

Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if they are telling you that you have spark and fuel, then I guess they must working in a vacuum.
If you have spark, fuel and air, it should try and start, cough, fart, do something.
So lets take for granted that you mechanic breathes air like the rest of us then you don't have spark or fuel.
the CPS could be intermittent

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Could also be the crank sensor has some funky wiring. There's 3 wires that go directly to the ECU. Next time it doesn't start, pull one of the plug wires and grab a spare spark plug for it. Make sure the plug gets a proper ground (to the threads, usually grounding through the block) and see if you ACTUALLY have spark. It'll all show good, when it's running right.

Or, if you want an easier time try this!
Lisle 20610 Inline Spark Tester : Amazon.com : Automotive Lisle 20610 Inline Spark Tester : Amazon.com : Automotive

Dave

Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM
4wd Low

Thanks guys for the response!

It does turn over but just won't start. It's been running fine all day yesterday and today. I'm going to auto zone and pick the spark tester.

I wish it was consistent so I could just fix it already. Last time it happened I played with the fuel relay by disconnecting and plugging back in. Started right back up. I might try replacing the connector but it could have been a fluke.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 AM
4wd Low

What's the CPS?

Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Crankshaft position Sensor is called the CKP and is located at rear of engine, used to determine spark timig. No default, if fails then no spark.

Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) is mounted in front cover, tells the position of valves for injection squirts. Will use a default value if bad.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-08-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

my mistake I forgot we were talking LR.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:57 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like you're not getting fuel all the time, dirty fuel filter..... No filter on these, need a new pump or clean yours, eBay 65 bucks or so for a used one that might work

Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Kane, you need to be a lot more specific when talking to your mechanic and posting on line. Everything checks out fine won't help anyone trouble shoot a problem. You need to know the exact voltage when running, 13.6 to 14.4 volts is where it needs to be. For fuel pressure, it needs to be tested before a cold start, while idling and at around 2000 RPM's and you need the actual pressure not it is OK.
Go do this again and get back to us with your new information.

Quick Reply: 99 Disco 2 intermittent start problems