Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Disco II - 60 K Service / Fog Lights / Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Disco II - 60 K Service / Fog Lights / Tires

Hi folks,

A friend of mine who is a mechanic (ex landy mechanic in fct) will be going a 60 service. The question is the seafoam first off. Once applied, is it ok to continue to do this engine treatment every 5K ? Or is that overfill?

Also, I need fog lights as I will be heading to Vermont in the Winter and the roads are pretty tight and dark. I want to get an inexpensive set so if oyu have recommendations that would be great. Something aftermarket for sure.

Finally, I have goodyears on the tires which I am not crazy about. I want a slightly higher tire profile with keeping the road noice down without sacrificing a trson tread.

Thanks for the help as I appreciate some thoughts here..

CL

Old 08-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 99 Disco II - 60 K Service / Fog Lights / Tires

A friend of mine who is a mechanic (ex landy mechanic in fct) will be going a 60 service. The question is the seafoam first off. Once applied, is it ok to continue to do this engine treatment every 5K ? Or is that overfill?

I would not do it that often, try around every 10K or more.

Also, I need fog lights as I will be heading to Vermont in the Winter and the roads are pretty tight and dark. I want to get an inexpensive set so if oyu have recommendations that would be great. Something aftermarket for sure.

Hella 500's are great and cheap, you can replace the bulbs from the 55 watt to 100 watts, which are avail. at auto parts stores.

Finally, I have goodyears on the tires which I am not crazy about. I want a slightly higher tire profile with keeping the road noice down without sacrificing a trson tread.

what size tires do you have now? I would go with a good brand A/T. I'll give you a size when I know where your at now.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Overlanding

Hi Mike

I have a Disco II with ACE, and 18 inch rims....255/55/18 size tires I believe. I want to get another 60K out of this beast.

Finally, where is the best place to find the Hellas?

Thanks again
Charlie

Old 08-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trya these peope for Hellas, also try e-bay or look in four wheeler mags.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/500.asp

http://www.tidewaterrovers.com/

http://www.e-winches.com/detail.aspx?ID=314

Tires:
265/65-18 is a nice liio, if you go off road you might get a little rubbing but not bad. they are about 1.5" taller which is like a 3/4" lift

Old 08-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Overlanding

Hey Mike

OK, already bought the Hellas on Autoeverything.com.

For the tires, I went to tirerack.com and put in 265/65/18 which sounds like what I want. However, nothing came up....Any other tire stores online where I can do some research on this?

Alsolutely pumped to get going!

Thanks
CL

Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Rock Crawling

tire thing. I use nokian. from germany. got a good deal, thought I would try them. I have not been disappointed. They hand the roads in west by God Virginia without any trouble. Winter in the mountians no problem. I use the stock size so if will not effect wheel travel. The best place to get info is in the mods section on the forum, or go to the tire center you like and ask questions. check the land rover site and see what they recommend for the type of driving you want to do. remember that any change in tire size will effect your speedometer. It will need to be recalibrated, or check it with someone else to see the difference. The amount of difference will depend on the original tire size. There is also a list of parts suppliers on the forum, and some carry tires for specific purpose. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 08-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Overlanding

Hey duboff

I went into the tire section and its a bit limited. I am looking for mainly on road but good in some pretty gnarly snow for the Vermont winters.

I actually saw a great deal on BF Goodrich Long TRail Radial TA's with the size at 265/60/18. Any idea on how these respond on my 99 Disco II? I read the reviews and there great. Anything has to be better than the Goodyears I have.

Thanks again
CL

Old 08-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Mudding

I'm runnin Buckshot Maxxis Mudders LT245 75R16 They sell these as All Terrain tires cause of their long wear, but they have the bite of a decent mud tire. Not too noisy either.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Rock Crawling

I agree with the goodyear thing. The tires you are looking at are good ones, should handle it all pretty well. Make sure the date of manufacture is current. old tires are still old tire. tires can and do dry roth on the shelf. Most tires have a life of about 4 years, then on to new ones. this is not manufacture bs. I have friends in the business that helps with the testing. stay away from old new tires. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 08-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Overlanding

Hey duboff

thanks again. actually i too checked out nokians since they are outstanding in the snow. the problem is they are not really available in northern new jersey.

i am now leaning towar toyo proxes tires which are getting rave reviews too for performance, noise and ability to handle snow as all year round tire. the prices is decent as well at around $140 a tire compared to michelins.

my concern is still the sizing of what tire to go with without screwing up both the braking and mileage situation. on an 18 inch well with a 99 disco series ii, there are not any tires that seem to fit using a 265 / 55 / 18. i can do to a 275/55/18 which is weird but seems ok. I went on the following site which helps identify how far you can go with changin a profile for a tire.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Anyhow anyone who went to the 275/55/18 on a disco Series II with ACE would be good to hear from or anyhow else who has thoughts too.

Thanks
Charlie L

Quick Reply: 99 Disco II - 60 K Service / Fog Lights / Tires