Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Disco II Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Disco II Door Locks

Hey, guys -

Awhile back, the rear driver door on my '99 Disco II stopped responding to both the keyfob and internal door unlock button. The only way to open the door is via the handle.

Yesterday, the same thing happened on my passenger front door side. I'm down to two usable doors in the vehicle.

Today, my dealership (bunch of jerks) charged $95 to diagnose the problem as a "siezing mechanism" (yeah, no ****) and are quoting me $385 PER DOOR.

I and my friend, in his garage, are ready to tackle this problem ourselves.

Can anyone point me to a good spot to pick up the parts needed for this?
Also, what about a resource for the door disassembly? I recall that this is the difficult part of the job. Are special tools needed?

I don't have a shop manual for my vehicle, and would welcome recommendations on that front, too.
Please help me avoid paying these price-gouging jerks another cent. I get sick to my stomach just driving over there. Outrageous.

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: '99 Disco II Door Locks

Well-- yes the dealers can be very expensive, however in some cases they are the only source for someparts on the 1999-- and later models.
Now with that said-- I'm always one to recommend that people try to tackle some repairs themselves. The door lock actuators are not that tough to change-out, but the job can be frustrating for some. For instance --- removing the door panel without ripping the snap-in clips out of the door panel material is something that requires a tool made for such purposes. Second-- when you are working with the linkages inside the door, be very careful not to get things back together wrong, or when you hit that button to check your work -- you could bend the linkage and set the retaining clips flying.

On the rear doors, the window frame channel must be unbolted, and lifted to gain access.

The two part numbers are:

AMR 3382 --RF,LR, and RR door lock actuator --- I have them for $130.00 ea.
AMR 3384 -- LF door lock actuator -- I have it for $200.00

Understand that the dealer labor rate is probably around $125.00, and so at a time of 1.5 hours labor+parts on a front door, and a little more time on a rear-- you can see that the $$$ add up fast.

regards,

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com