Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 DISCO II PURCHASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 DISCO II PURCHASE

Greetings everyone, and thanks for such a wealth of information! After much reading and research here I put a deposit on a 1999 Disco II for a second/winter vehicle for my wife since she does not care for our Jeep Wrangler (difficult to get our kids ages 2 and 7 into the back seat and no room for storage). The Disco I found is a 2 owner vehicle (second owner purchased from a Rover dealer), 80K miles, recent brakes and tires, all books and records, including the 60K service. Everything operates as it should, including both sun roofs and found no evidence of leaks around the sun roofs. The rest of the interior is in excellent condition, including the carpet which is dry. Exterior wise there is no rust and only a few scratches. The engine bay is clean and I only found a slightly damp oil pan, all other componets are dry. The engine starts nicely and idles just under the 1K mark (somewhere around 750 to 800 RPMs) would be my guess. During the test drive the vehicle drove very well, the steering was tight and responsive, transsmission shifted smoothly with no clunking and braking was good with no pull to the left or right. The two problems found were the right front parking light is not working (bulb?) and the tailgate does not open, this apparently just happened because the seller was trying to open it during our inspection of the vehicle and was totally unaware of it. The seller has agreed to fix this problem. Financial/marital problems are the reason of sale. Price: 10K. One final note is the vehicle has conventional rear suspension.

Is there anything else I should look at? Any and all thoughts on this vehicle will be considered greatly!

Thanks again for such a great place to vist.

Gerry
'96 VW Passat TDI 250K and still going
'06 VW Jetta TDI (new)
'00 Wrangler 49K (soon to be gone)

Old 09-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: '99 DISCO II PURCHASE

How many miles on the truck?
Early D 2's, and I have a 99, had a problem with the front drive shaft, the constant velocity joint came from the factory with no grease fittings, so check and see if you can see grease fitting on the 2 u-joints inside that housing where it hooks to the transfer case. If there are none there you will want to rebuild it, not a big deal, arouns $125 US.
Otherwise plan on doing all the fluids at some point soon just to play it safe.
If yoy need any help on what to do, PM me and we will talk.
I found the 99 to be a good truck.
Mike

Old 09-03-2006, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '99 DISCO II PURCHASE

Thanks Mike for the info... The truck has 84K miles on it. The build date was 07/99. What all does the dealer do at the 60K service?

I will PM you later, thanks again.

Gerry