Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Disco II Transmission Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010 | 11:51 AM
|
6th Gear
Arrow '99 Disco II Transmission Gremlin

I recently purchased this vehicle for my son and am trying to work out the bugs. It has 117k on it and has been well taken care of throughout it's lifetime but I purchased it in the north and it has spent plenty of time on wet salty roads.

That said, my first transmission issue was with the simultaneous Manual Mode and Sport Mode lights flashing which was quickly cured by turning the vehicle off and restarting it.

Today, (of all places at the Land Rover garage where I was picking up a wheel nut) it wouldn't go into reverse and the red diodes alongside the selector either did not match up or were out all together. It would go into drive but did not show the gear selected in the dash. When I selected the Reverse position, the hill descent light came on.

I spoke with the service manager and got the confused $2k look from him so I decided to push the vehicle backwards so that I could exit their garage as quickly as possible.

It drives fine, shifts normally through all the gears and manually downshifts with the selector and when I stopped for coffee, I was able to select reverse momentarily - the lights were still not matching the gear selection but it tells me that it is an electronic issue and not a mechanical issue.

My question for the helpful experts is where should I start with a diagnostic? I have downloaded the workshop manual and will try to locate the EAT ECU and check the connectors and do the same with the Gear Position Switch Connector.

Also, do these parts fail and require replacement?
If so, if I am going to replace them one-by-one, which should I start with?

Thank you for your insights!
Peter Lloyd

Last edited by pclloyd; 03-08-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2010 | 07:03 PM
Team Owner

First thing you need to do is check your battery and alternator.
You need 13 volts when running min.
The transmission ECU is the first one to get cut from the power supply.
The trans ECU is under the drivers seat and can be had for dirt cheap if you need to buy one...used.

Old 03-10-2010 | 10:59 AM
Administrator

Peter,
Have you had the voltage checked yet, what was it? Any check engine light on?

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:39 PM
|
6th Gear
Default Thanks, Mike,

I have not had the voltage checked yet but I will tomorrow. I did notice that the vehicle sometimes will not start in Park but will in neutral which leads me back to the position unit on the transmission linkage which arrived today. I will update the outcome. Hopefully this will work!