Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you be towing it back home? If the issue is minor, 2K for a 99 in Dallas would be a great deal.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChanchoVerde
Sent him this email and here are his answers. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

I have a few questions for you in order for us to finalize this deal. Please answer each question to the best of your ability.

1. Is there any rust on the body or chassis of the Discovery? Not that I am aware of

2. The 1999 Discovery II was not fitted with greasable u-joints on the drive shaft. This can cause serious problems when it fails. Have you had the drive shaft replaced or rebuilt with greasable u-joints? I have replaced the front shaft

3. Have you had the AC serviced? Do you know exactly what the problem is ie. compressor, low on R134? Please give more details on the condition of the AC. Climate control wont turn on. I think the compressor is fine. It was working, blowing cold, then climate control unit just went dead.

4. Do you have the service records for all work performed on this vehicle? No

5. Is there any major mechanical issue other than "won't start" and "no AC" ? See list below

6. Please list any and all mechanical issues with this vehicle including electrical issues. Passenger rear door lock actuator doesn’t work. Rear subwoofer is broken, I do have the cover, I think. Cartridge for CD changer is missing. One of the ash/change trays wont open. A/C only blew on high when it worked. Never changed the shocks so those probably need to be redone. Radiator leaks a little, I usually top off the water once a week or so. Steering wobbled a little around 45 but clears up if you go faster or slower, could be tires need balanced or may need steering shock. Keyless entry works but the key fob I have is broken so you have to use the key to lock and unlock. I don’t think the horn works.

Please send me the VIN# so that I can run a history check on this Disco. I will mainly be looking for accidents. SALTY1240XA227147
The radiator leak and steering wobble will be your two major concerns. If the radiator cannot be repaired they are expensive. The steering wobble would require some work on your effort in order to diagnose the bearing, tie rod etc, etc. (whatever is causing it) but we can easily help you out there. Once you find it will likely not big an expensive repair.

Here's my thoughts. Overall it sounds like he is being forthright. The 1K you have for repairs should be enough, assuming you are willing to do the work yourself. That should be plently for parts. We can help you out with diagnosis and other maintenance items. I would at least do the 60K checklist as well. If you choose to make the trip down there, give the radiator a once over and see how bad it is. Also, if you don't like it when your down there you can always just walk away. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the VIN and it was in an accident in 2003. Asked the seller to describe the damage involved.

Why can't I find an accident free, running Disco?

Frustrating but fun.

Update: Below is the response from the seller when asked about the accident on the vehicle history report.

"I can’t remember which one was in 2003, but we have had two accidents in the truck. The first one, my wife rear ended a Honda Civic. The damage to the rover was all cosmetic, no frame or mechanical. The brush bar pushed into the headlights. They replaced the bar and the headlights, and maybe the grill. I think they replaced the bumper cover also because it was cracked. The second accident, I hit a deer going about 30mph. It broke one of the headlights, which insurance replaced. We also had the windshield replaced at that time because it was cracked, but not due to the accident."

Sounds minor and the seller does sound honest. What do you think?

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 09-04-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Accident Info
Old 09-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Rock Crawling

@grussell - Probably towing it home on a u-haul car trailer. I'm starting to get cold feet. Wish I knew everything but I don't. It's hit and miss.

@98 - You're right, I can just walk away but it's a long drive and I have to reserve a trailer so it's tough to decide what to do.

UPDATE: Seller's response to my question about having head gasket work done.

"I have not had any head gasket work done. I had the chain and tensioner replaced several years ago and replaced the water pump and belt about 1 year ago. It actually ran really good. It liked to warm up for about 30 seconds after starting but after that it ran great. It didn’t sputter or hesitate or anything like that."

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 09-04-2009 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Update
Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Rock Crawling

I have decided to pass on this one.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say good call. That $1k for repairs would have vanished in a blink.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, the list of repairs grew bigger and bigger every time I talked to the seller.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:16 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know what comes up next, good luck.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Will do.