Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abrupt end to road trip in Disco

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:07 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abrupt end to road trip in Disco

Hey

I'm having some disco issues. Im leaning toward a blown head gasket, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

I started smelling something like smoke while i was driving, so I pulled over and opened up the hood. There was some smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine, down by the exhaust manifold. Didnt notice anything coming from the tail pipe. There was a small puddle of oil on the ground. Also missing a bit of coolant.

The next day, I kept checking my fluid levels. The oil dipstick was reading steady through the day, but I kept losing some coolant. Later, the oil warning light came on, so I shut the truck down and opened the hood to see what was going on.

The oil in the crank case was diluted with a ton of coolant and the smoke was getting much heavier.

I obviously had the truck towed home at that point.

Thoughts?

Old 12-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Abrupt end to road trip in Disco

You have lost your head gasket for sure, don't run the engine any more cause you are washing your bearings in coolant which can kill them also.
Make sur whoever works on your truck is familiar with your engine, inspect the heads and check and make sure your haven't dropped a cylinder sleeve.
Mike

Old 12-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Abrupt end to road trip in Disco

Hope you havn't melted your cats too. fyi just did a head job on mine (98 DI GEMS). Don't know what year you have but hit me up if you need some help with that engine make. good luck!