Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Bleed Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS Bleed Necessary?

Hi everyone:

I know the answer to this is most definitely already posted somewhere, but I've looked and can't find just a straight-forward answer, and I'm going cross-eyed haha

I need to replace my Brake Master Cylinder, but like an idiot, I waited too long and got lazy, letting the fluid leak out of the seals/grommets. So here lies the issue, as I do not have a fancy Hawkeye scanner, etc... How do I get the air out of the ABS module? I assume since I pressed the brakes after letting the reservoir empty, that I can't just bleed the system at the BMC lines as I've read in a couple places, right? So, how do I get the air out of the ABS, and do I do that before or after I bleed at the wheels?

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I did mine by having the truck running while doing the bleed. Then I took it for a drive and repeated the process about 3 times until I was happy with my pedal feel

Old 12-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by nmacej
Hi everyone:

I know the answer to this is most definitely already posted somewhere, but I've looked and can't find just a straight-forward answer, and I'm going cross-eyed haha

I need to replace my Brake Master Cylinder, but like an idiot, I waited too long and got lazy, letting the fluid leak out of the seals/grommets. So here lies the issue, as I do not have a fancy Hawkeye scanner, etc... How do I get the air out of the ABS module? I assume since I pressed the brakes after letting the reservoir empty, that I can't just bleed the system at the BMC lines as I've read in a couple places, right? So, how do I get the air out of the ABS, and do I do that before or after I bleed at the wheels?

Thanks!
There are instructions to make a switch you can us at the ABS relay to operate the pump. You’ll also need to bench bleed the master cylinder.You could always go get an obdII tool that bleeds brakes as well. There are a few now.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
There are instructions to make a switch you can us at the ABS relay to operate the pump. You’ll also need to bench bleed the master cylinder.You could always go get an obdII tool that bleeds brakes as well. There are a few now.
I thought a bench bleed wasn't recommended with our BMC's because of the rear brake reservoir being a potential failure point, no? Most things I've read recommend bleeding the cylinder by backing off the lines going into the res. with pedal pumping. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by nmacej
I thought a bench bleed wasn't recommended with our BMC's because of the rear brake reservoir being a potential failure point, no? Most things I've read recommend bleeding the cylinder by backing off the lines going into the res. with pedal pumping. What are your thoughts?
You could be right, but that is news to me. I did the bench bleed to mine, and not sure how it would be different from any other BMC.

The following users liked this post:
nmacej (12-30-2017)